Henry Edward Hickmott (1852-1931) and
Elizabeth Ann Owen (1855-1923)

(last updated 4 September 2021)

Children and descendants: Part 2

In around 1909 Henry Edward Hickmott and his wife Elizabeth moved from Victoria to Western Australia where they had purchased a farm, which they named 'Dingley Dell', eight miles east of the inland town of Brookton. Three of Henry and Elizabeth's grown-up children - William Henry, John Edward and Edith Olive Hickmott - elected not to go with their parents and remained in Victoria. Their remaining children all relocated to the West and established their own livelihoods and families there. Detailed below is what we know about George Alfred, Ruby Minnie, Ella Adeline and Rebecca Elsie Hickmott. Click here for information about about Sophia Elizabeth, Florence Mary and Alice Ann Hickmott.

4. George Alfred Hickmott (1889-1945)

george alfred hickmottBorn at Charlton in 1899, George (pictured on the left) went to Western Australia with his parents in around 1909. As the photo below shows, he worked for a time as a miner before taking up farming at Brookton. Records in the Australian War Memorial show that he enlisted in the 1st AIF on 31 August 1914 and embarked from Fremantle on the transport ship A7 MEDIC on 2 November the same year. He trained with the 12th Battalion in Egypt but returned to Australia on the ULYSSES on 20 March 1915. His records show he was discharged as medically unfit on 26 July 1915 due to rheumatism, and that prior to enlistment, he had served six months in the Pingelly Light Horse. As the following extract from a letter written by George's future brother-in-law, Edwin Holdsworth, from their camp in Egypt to his father at Stony Crossing near Brookton indicates, George was deeply disappointed about being discharged: 'Geordie Hickmott has been very bad with rheumatism, from which he has been confined in the hospital for about three weeks, and is so weak he cannot leave his bed, but is improving. 1 think the authorities are going to send him back to Australia. I often go to see him. I don't like leaving him behind, as he doesn't relish the idea of being sent home The lads all feel sorry for him'. Edwin Holdsworth was killed in action on the day of the Gallipoli landing while serving with the 12th Battalion. Click here to see a photo of him in his uniform.

The 1916 electoral roll for the Federal division of Swan shows George Alfred Hickmott, farmer, living at Newminster in East Pingelly. The WA index of bdms informs us that a George A. Hickmott married Mena ('Minnie') May Spice (1899-1969) in the Perth registration district in 1920. The following account of their wedding was published in the Perth Sunday Times on 10 October 1920 and the Pingelly Leader on 14 October 1920:

At the St George's Anglican Cathedral, on September 22nd, George, late of the 12th Battalion, son of Mr H. E. Hickmott, MLA, and Mrs Hickmott of 'Dingley Dell', Brookton, was married to Mena M., daughter of the late Mr and Mrs Henry Spice, of East Brookton. The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr G. Spice, wore a gown of softest pale pink crepe de chine trimmed with white beads. The bridal veil, which was beautifully worked, fell from a spray of orange blossom to the end of the skirt. She carried a bouquet of pale pink and cream sweet peas. The bridemaids were Miss Burrows, who wore mauvre crepe de chine, and Miss Gladys Austin, of 7 Coode Street Maylands (niece of the bridegroom) in creme crepe de chine and a pretty blue hat, each wearing gold brooches, gifts of the bridegroom. Mr Selby Whittington performed the duties of best man. The wedding breakfast was held at 'Lalbert', Victoria Park, the residence of the bridegroom's sister (Mrs Charlie Carter). The reception room and tables being nicely decorated with blue and white, the colours of the bridegroom. About 50 relatives and friends were received by Mrs Hickmott snr and an enjoyable evening was spent in music, songs and games. The happy couple left by motor for their honeymoon amid a shower of confetti and good wishes. The bride's travelling dress was blue sik, with hat to match. Many beautiful presents and also several cheques were received.

Minnie Spice was born in the Perth suburb of Swan. Her parents were Henry Clarence Spice (1865-1916) and Susan Martin (1869-1910) who were married at Gingin in Western Australia in 1886 and had seven children in addition to Minnie. According to Kevin Hickmott's 'Family Tree' on Ancestry, her grandfather, Robert Spice (1827-68), came from Salehurst in Sussex and married Mercy Jane Mortimer (1843-1909) at Ellensbrook in the Margaret River region of Western Australia in 1861. The 1925, 1931, 1936/7 and 1943 electoral rolls for the Federal division of Swan have George still working as a farmer and living at Newminster in East Pingelly (the 1925, 1931, 1936/7 and 1943 rolls show Minnie living at Kelvin Grove in East Pingelly). In compensation, perhaps, for missing out on serving at Gallipoli, George enlisted in the Second AIF at Yealering on 26 April 1942. His date of birth was recorded as 21 July 1891 (two years after his actual birth day) and his next of kin Mena Hickmott. His date of and posting at discharge were 'unknown'. As his obituary, published in the Pingelly Brookton Leader on 26 April 1945 indicates, George died unexpectedly in hospital in Perth on 6 April 1945:

DEATH OF MR. G. A. HICKMOTT. OF MILTON. It was with considerable surprise and feelings of profound regret that it was learned that Mr. Hickmott had passed away in the Perth Public Hospital on Friday, April 6th, and we extend to Mrs. Hickmott, the boys and girls our deepest sympathy in their great sorrow. Deceased had not been feeling well in the early part of this year, and towards the end of January went to Perth to seek medical advice. He had only recently been admitted to the Hospital. He was a comparatively young man—about the age of fifty-five years. He came from Victoria to the Milton district in the early days of settlement and was one of the leading players in the old "Landscape"football team, also a prominent player in the early days of the Milton cricket and tennis clubs. Joining up early in the 1914-18 war, he was at the landing on Gallipoli, and after returning to WA he leased the farm of the late Pte. Joe Nalder, subsequently purchasing a property of his own which he farmed until the time of his death. For considerably over twenty years he served the ratepayers, continuously, as their member for the South-East Ward on the Pingelly Road Board, where the expression of his opinion was always respected by his fellow members. For this service, and other public duties, he was made a Justice of the Peace. When the first public meeting was called to erect a Memorial Hall to Pte. Nalder, George was one of the three Trustees, and also acted as Honorary Secretary and Treasurer in the early years of the Hall's life. It was largely due to his ability and enthusiasm that the Hall was so early free from public debt. Sitting on the Board of Directors of the Yealering Co-op. Co. in the early days, he also gave his time and services free. And so, until the passing of time, and the rolling away of the clouds, we say Farewell. Vale, George, Good Neighbour and Good Citizen!

unknown hickmott

From the collection provided by my mother, Elsie Cheeseman (nee Hickmott),
this partially damaged photograph of a group of miners in Western Australia includes,
fourth from the left in the rear row, George Alfred Hickmott.

What of George and Minnie's children? We believe they had two sons and two daughters as follows:

1) Charles Alfred Hickmott (1921-92). The WWII nominal roll shows 406901 Charles Alfred Hickmott of Victor Harbour enlisted into the RAAF at Perth on 24 May 1941. His place of birth was Pingelly and his NOK was his father George Hickmott. Charles was discharged on 7 June 1945 at which time he was serving as a Leading Aircraftman in 1 Operational Training Unit (see the photo of him in uniform below). After the War he continued to live and work on the family farm at Yealering. A notice in the 24 November 1946 edition of Perth's Sunday Times informed its readers that: 'Mr and Mrs L. T. Magor, Wickepin, wish to announce the engagement of their daughter Valerie Grace to Charles Alfred oldest son of the late Mr and Mrs G. A. Hickmott of Yealering'. According to the 'Dalton Family Tree' on Ancestry, Valerie was born at Perth on 6 May 1927, the daughter of Leslie Thomas Magor (1907-69) and Catherine Grace Rodan (1904-62) who were married in the Murchison region of Western Australia in 1926. As described in a report contained in The Narrogin Observer, the wedding took place at Wickepin on 21 February 1948:

. . . the Wickepin Hall was the scene of an exceptionally pretty wedding of interest to many when Valerie Grace, only daughter of Mr and Mrs L. T. Magor, of Wickepin and Charles Alfred, eldest son of Mrs and the late G. A. Hickmott, of Yealerlng, were joined in holy matrimony. The Rev Father Giles officiated . . . The bride entered the hall on the arm of Mr P. J. Chance who, in the unavoidable absence of her father, gave the bride away . . . . The three bridesmaids in attendance were Misses Patricia Condon, Olive Hickmott (sister of the groom) and Miss Irene Halliday . . . The duties of best man were carried out by Roy Mouritzen who travelled from Bannister for the occasion. He was assisted by Robert Hickmott and Len Hovell as groomsmen. As the bridal party stood at the altar, the dark-haired classic beauty of the bride against the golden haired fairness of the bridesmaids presented a striking picture in lovely and vivid contrast. After the ceremony, over 150 guests were received by the bride's mother and bridegroom's sister, Miss Olive Hickmott, in the absence of her mother who was ill and unable to attend . . . Mr E. J. Pauley presided at the breakfast and ably carried out the duties of chairman. After the breakfast, a dance was held and the many costly gifts and cheques were displayed on a long table on the stage. During the evening, items were rendered by Miss Nina McLean, Miss Shirley McCrackan, Miss June Pense and Mr P. J. Chance. A buffet supper was set out in the supper room. Miss Enid Hovell was the lucky winner of the bride's bouquet. At 11 pm the guests formed a circle around the newly-weds and sang Auld Lang Syne and wished them God's speed. Amid cheers and good wishes, the happy couple left by car for their honeymoon which is being spent at Perth (27 November 1948).

The Australian electoral rolls show Charles and Valerie farmed land at Milton near Pingelly until the mid-1960s when they moved to Bunbury where Charles worked as a motor mechanic. Charles died in Perth in 1992 and was buried in the Bunbury Cemetery (L-A-220) with his and Valerie's son, Peter George Hickmott (1952-76). The cemetery records cited on 'Lorraine’s Cemetery Records' website , tell us Charles was the father of Peter, Kevin and Judy. Valerie Grace Hickmott nee Magor died in Perth on 15 July 2005 and was buried in the Karrakatta Cemetery.

2) Born in Perth on 6 February 1924, W74304 Robert Arthur ('Bob') Hickmott of East Pingelly enlisted in the Second AIF at Yealering on 26 April 1942 and served as a private soldier in the 10th Battalion. His next of kin was Mena Hickmott. After his discharge Bob returned to East Pingelly where the 1949 electoral roll shows him also working on the family farm. The 'Reverse WA Marriages' index shows he married Hermine Dawn Hovell in the Williams registration district of WA in 1950. The 1954 electoral roll for the division of Canning in WA has Bob farming at East Pingelly while a Hermine Dawn Hickmott was living at Yealering. The 1958, 1963, 1968 and 1972 rolls have both Robert and Hermine Dawn Hickmott at East Pingelly. The 1977 roll still has them at Yelearing together with a Robert George Hickmott, farmhand. According to the Pingelly Cemetery index, Robert Arthur Hickmott, aged 74 years, died on 24 February 1998 and was buried in the Anglican section (Plot 79) of the local cemetery. Dawn Hickmott nee Hovell died in 2007. She was 77 years old and is buried with Bob at Bunbury. Her headstone reads in part: 'In loving memory of Hermine Dawn Hickmott. Beloved wife of Robert Arthur. Loved mother of Janice, Robert, Russell and Beverley'.

charles and robert hickmott charles

1. George and Minnie's sons Charles and Robert Hickmott c1927.
2. Charles Alfred Hickmott in the RAAF during the Second Warld War.

robert arthur hickmott

From the Library of Western Australia's photo collection, this shows Robert Arthur ('Bob') Hickmott, second from the left,
with some friends outside the Yearlering Hall sometime in the 1950s.

3) Olive Elizabeth Hickmott (1931-96). Born at Beverley, Olive was both a bridesmaid and the host of the reception for her brother Charles' wedding at Wickepin in February 1948. Her soon-to-be fiance, Leonard Charles Hovell (1924-96), served as a groomsman. Olive and Len were married in Perth in 1950. According to the 'Hovell Family Tree' on Ancestry, Len's father was Richard John Bexfield Hovell (1885-1979), who was born at Norwich in England and sailed to Australia from London on the ORTOVA in 1909. His mother was Annie May Livingstone Bell (1891-1971) who was born at Bungalally near Horsham in Victoria. Richard and Annie were married at Beverley in Western Australia in 1912 and had six children in addition to Len. The WW2 Nominal Roll shows WX36369 Leonard Charles Hovell enlisted in the Australian Army at Dandarragan in Western Australia on 13 November 1942. Len was then living and working at Bullaring and gave as his NOK his father Richard Hovell. He was discharged on 1 July 1946 while serving as a private soldier in the 11th Australian Infantry Battalion. A note published in the Pingelly-Brookton Leader in April 1946 tells us that Len, who was then 'home on leave' had served in 'the "Islands" for some 2 years'. The Australian electoral rolls show that after their marriage Len and Olive lived at Bullaring where Len worked as a farm hand in the local apple orchards and was a regular player in the Bullaring cricket and football teams. By the time of the 1977 election, they had moved to Bunbury where they both died in 1996. Len and Olive are buried together in the Bunbury cemetery. The cemetery and electoral records indicate they had four children: Jean, Neville George, Maxwell Leonard and Douglas Richard Hovell.

4) Florence Ella Hickmott grew up in Yealering but was often in Perth either visiting family members there or on school excursions. According to The Narrogin Observer, on one of the latter occasions Ella 'had to be rushed to hospital for an appendix operation. She is progressing satisfactorily. On receipt of the news Mrs Hickmott rushed to Perth. Then Mr Hickmott required medical attention so he had to make a trip to the city, leaving son Bob in charge of the farm and to celebrate his majority on his lonesome' (17 February 1945). On 20 September 1951 the Pingelly Brookton Leader offered 'Congrats to Ella Hickmott and Reg Davenport on the announcement of their engagement'. As the following article published in The Narrogin Observer reported, they were married at Yealering on 17 January 1953:

Wedding DAVENPORT - HICKMOTT On Saturday; January 17, the Presbyterian Church, Yealering, was the scene of a pretty wedding, when Ella, youngest daughter of Mrs Hickmott and the late Mr Geo. Hickmott, was joined in holy matrimony with Mr Reg. Davenport of Bullaring. The bride, who entered the Church on the arm of her brother, Mr. Bob Hickmott, looked very sweet in her gown of white tulle and lace . . . and long, embroidered veil held in place by a coronet of orange blossom and seed pearls. A lovely bouquet of frangipani and carnations completed her toilet. She was attended by Misses Kath Beswick and Myra Davenport, who looked very charming in their matching frocks of blue . . . The bridegroom was assisted by Messrs Stan Bell and Len Hovell. Mr. Pederick officiated at the wedding service. A buffet breakfast was served at the local Hall, where 50 guests were received by Mrs Hickmott, who looked very charming in navy crepe frock with shoulder spray of red roses . . . She was assisted by the bridegroom's mother Mrs. Fryer, who was also in navy crepe, but with white trimmings and a shoulder spray of red roses . . . The lovely three-tiered cake, which was made and iced by the bride's sister, Mrs Len Hovell, held pride of place on the tables, which had zinnias and ferns for floral decorations. Mr. Pederick acted as Chairman and a large number of telegrams conveying congratulations and good wishes to the young couple were received. At 8 p.m. the invited guests, numbering 250, gathered to wish the couple humour and advice for their future and join in the dancing which dominated the evening. The bride's travelling frock was mushroom pink crepe with lace yoke. A matching hat with cluster of roses on one side and navy accessories completed the outfit. Many lovely and valuable gifts were received by the popular couple who will make their future home in Bullaring (8 February 1953).

Reg's father was a Londoner, Stanley Albert Edwin Davenport (1904-87). The UK and Ireland, Outward Passenger Lists on Ancestry show that the then 17 year-old Stanley sailed from London on the ORMUZ on 12 November 1921 bound for Fremantle in Western Australia. A motor mechanic by trade, his last address in the UK was 8 Gorrange Park Parade Tooting. Reg's mother was Sarah Annie Dorothy Bell (1909-96) who was born at Pingelly in Western Australia, the daughter of Lincolnshire-born Thomas Bell (1866-1953) and a Victorian, Lily Livingstone Bell (1891-1965) who were married at Beulah in Victoria in 1909. The WA Reverse Marriages index shows Stanley and Dorothy were married in the Beverley RD of WA in 1925 and, according to the 'Baldwin Family Tree' on Ancestry, had four children in addition to Reg. Stan and Dorothy were divorced in 1945 and Stan married a Beryl Eugene Pascoe in Perth the following year. The Perth Metropolitan Cemeteries index shows a Stanley Albert Davenport of Greenmount in Perth died there on 9 Januay 1987 and his ashes were taken by the funeral director at Karrakatta. Beryl, aged 67, had died in 1985. The Australian electoral rolls show Reginald Albert and Ella Florence Davenport were living at Wickepin in 1963, 1968, 1972, 1977 (along with a Coralie Anne Davenport, teacher) and 1980 (along with Coralie Anne, teacher, Grant Reginald, farmer, and Lorraine Susan Davenport, student). During this time Reg worked as a farmer and, like his brothers-in-law, played for the local cricket and football teams. The Billion Graves website tells us Reginald Albert Davenport (born on 8 Jan 1927) died on 2 Apr 2014 and is buried in the Wickepin Cemetery (Lot 11787). His gravestone reads: 'Beloved husband of Ella, Loved father of [indistinguishable], Rosalie, Coralie, Lorraine and Grant' (their first child is probably Susette Anne Davenport although this has still to be confirmed).

5. Ruby Minnie Hickmott (1893-1941)

Minnie was born at Charlton in 1893 and moved to Brookton in Western Australia with her parents in around 1909. She married Enoch Arthur Holdsworth (1892-1966) there in 1916 (their wedding photo is pictured below). The following report of the wedding was published in The Pingelly Leader on 30 March 1916:

The Methodifci Church at Brookton was the scene of a very pretty wedding at 11 a. m. on Wednesday 22nd. inst; when Enoch Arthur son of Mr. and Mrs E. Holdsworth of East Brookton, was joined In holy matrimony to Ruby Minnie, daughter of Mr. H. E. Hickmott, M.L.A., and Mrs. Hickmott, of Brookton by the Rev H. Moore. The church was tastefully decorated by the friends of the bride, and Mrs. Carter officiated at the organ. 'The Voice that breathed o'er Eden' was sung during the entrance of the bridal party. The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a short cream satin frock, trimmed with, raised silk embroidery and carried an ivory Prayer Book, the gift of the bridegroom. The bride was attended by Miss Holdsworth, (sister of the bridegroom), Miss Olive Whittington and Miss Gladys Austin, whilst Mr G. Hickmott acted as best man. Mr. G. Holdsworth took the part of groomsman. Miss Holdsworth was attired in a soft cream silk frock, with black hat, carried a bouquet of pink roses and fern, and wore a gold broach, the gift of the bridegroom. Miss Whittington wore a dainty silk voile, with hat to match, carried pink lilies and fern, and wore a band ring, the gift of the bridegroom. Miss Gladys Austin was also robed in voile, with black hat, carried a bouquet of roses and fern, and wore a gold brooch, the gift of the bridegroom. The mother of the bride wore black voile and black hat, whilst the mother of the bridegroom wore tussore silk with hat to match. After the ceremony the bride and bridegroom were motored to the Brookton Hall where the reception was held. The table, which was profusely decorated with minature sunflowers and fern, was laden with dainties to tempt one. During the ceremony many toasts were honoured, among them being that of " The bride and bridegroom," "The parents of bride and bridegroom" and "The bridesmaids". After the reception the bride retired to the Club Hotel to prepare for her departure, her travelling costume being a short, navy blue silk relieved with a touch of white at the throat and a tugel straw hat trimmed with cream ribbons and cherries. The happy couple who were the recipients of numerous presents, departed, by the l. 15 pm train for Perth, where the honeymoon is to be spent.

Enoch was born at Cannum (near Warracknabeal) in Victoria in 1892, one of 12 children of Edwin Holdsworth (1856-1919) and Margaret Ellen Wallace (1857-1923). According to a report in The Pingelly Leader published after his death, Enoch's father was 'a native of Ballarat, and when quite a young man took up farming pursuits in the Wimmera. He later removed to Donald with his wife and family to start a business in that town. After some nine years of this life, the call of the land proved too great, so he retired from active business life and migrated to WA. About 12 years ago he acquired land at Stony Grossing and continued farming operations there up to the time of his demise'. One of Enoch's older brothers, Edwin Holdsworth jnr, was killed in action on the day of the Gallipoli landing while serving with the 12th Battalion, 1st AIF. Click here to see a photo of Edwin.

It is more than likely that Minnie and Enoch met each other through the Brookton Methodist Church of which both families were active members. As keen tennis players they would have also been members of the Brookton tennis Club of which Minnie's father was patron. The 1916, 1925 and 1931 electoral rolls for the division of Swan show Minnie living at Dingley Dell at East Brookton. Enoch, who was working as a labourer, was at East Brookton. In 1936/7 Minnie was registered at 24 Spring Park Rd in Midland (Enoch, still working as a labourer, was registered as living on William St in Brookton). Chris Buchanan has told us that Minnie and Enoch had four children: Henry or Ted as he was known as (born in 1917), Dorothy (1920), Iris (1921) and Ronald Holdsworth (1923). Chris added that Henry Edwin Arthur ('Ted') Holdsworth played football for both Swan Districts and Western Australia and married Eileen Winifred Balmer at Guildford on 4 February 1938. Ted's grandson, Ryan Edwin Turnbull, the son of John Turnbull and Kaye Holdsworth, later played football for the West Coast Eagles (another of Henry's descendants, Adrian Hickmott, is presently an assistant coach at the West Coast Eagles).

According to the WA Metropolitan Cemeteries' Board website, Minnie Holdsworth nee Hickmott died at West Midland on 16 October 1941 and was buried in the Wesleyan section of the Karrakatta Cemetery. The following death notices were published in the West Australian newspaper on 18 October: 'HOLDSWORTH - On October 16 at Perth. Ruby Minnie, dearly beloved mother of Ted and Eileen, and grandmother of baby Valerie'. 'HOLDSWORTH - On October 16 at Perth. Ruby Minnie, loving sister of Sophy (Mrs Carter), Jack Hickmott, Flo (Mrs Wilmdhurst), Alice (Mrs Weise), Olive (dec), Willie, George, Ella (Mrs Bowron), Elsie (Mrs Whittington) and Arthur (dec)'. 'HOLDSWORTH ... dearly beloved sister-in-law of Gilbert and Ivy, loving Aunty of Neil.

The 1943 electoral roll shows Enoch, a labourer, living at 5 Harper St West Midland. In 1954 he was at 20 Parker St Bassendean. The 1958 and 1963 rolls show him as a plumber and living at 8 Cooper Street Midland Junction together with an Alma Christina Holdsworth. The Perth Metropolitan Cemeteries Board website shows that Enoch, aged 74 years, died at Midland in 1966. He is memorialised in the Crematorum Rose Gardens at Karrakatta cemetery (Wall R, position 91). His second wife, Alma Christina Holdsworth nee Johnson, who he married in the Northam registrationn district of WA in 1956, died at Midland in 1992, aged 89 years, and is also memorialised in the Karrakatta Rose Gardens (Wall R, position 92).

As mentioned above, Ruby and Enoch's eldest son, Harry Edwin Arthur ('Ted') Holdsworth (1917-84), married Eileen Winifred Balmer (1916-2003) at Guilford in 1938. As the Perth Mirror noted, at the time Ted was working as a fitter and playing Australian rules football for Swan District in the Western Australian National Football League where he had already 'played 50 games with Swans, has a bag of 258 goals. Started in 1935, coming from Midland B’s. Lives at West Midland, is employed at the Midland Workshops. Was a member of the Railway cricket team that toured the Eastern States this year. The only curly-headed man in the team, is a great sport known by his team mates as 'The Peanut King.' Challenges Jim Ditchburn for the title of team's woret dancer. Ted considers Crew and Clarke the two best goalies he has played against this season. He looks a certainty for Interstate honours'. He played for the Western Australian State team on two occasions, the first in 1946, where he played at full forward, and then again a year later when he was at full back. He retired in 1947 after playing 143 games for the Swan District and kicking 532 goals, the second-most of any Swans player after Eric Gorman. He went on to coach Swan Districts in 1952 and later became vice president of the club. He is named in the Swan Districts Team of the Century at full forward. The Australian electoral rolls show that Ted and Eileen lived the bulk their married lives in the Perth of Bassendean. They had at least one daughter, Valerie, in around 1940.

Their second son, Ronald George Hodsworth (1922-2004),enlisted in the 2nd AIF in 1943. He was then living at West Midland and gave his father as his NOK. He served in the Army Ordnance Corps and was discharged in 1946. He married Marjory Iris Woolands in Perth in 1948. He died in Bentley in 2004 and is memorialised in the Banksia Court of the Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park.

young minnie hickmott minnie hickmott and Enoch holdsworth minnie and children

1. Photo of Ruby Minnie Hickmott before her marriage
2. Wedding photo of Enoch Arthur and Ruby Minnie Holdsworth (nee Hickmott)
3. Minnie Holdsworth with two of her children.

ted holdsworth and swan district state reps

WA State selector Ted Holdsworth with Swan Districts 1965 state representatives
(L/R) Rear row: Tom Stannage, Colin Maynard, Tony Nesbit and Bill Walker.
Front: Ken Bagley, Ted Holdswaoth and Peter Manning.

6. Ella Adeline Hickmott (1895-1975)

Ella was born at Bungeeluke North near Charlton in Victoria and went with her parents to Western Australia in around 1909. The WA index of bdms shows that she married Cecil John ('Jack') Shean in the Claremont district in 1911 (Ella and Jack are pictured in the photo below). The 1916 electoral roll for the Division of Perth shows Cecil John and Ella Adeline Shean living at 96 Burke St in Balkatta. As the following article entitled 'Shean's Shillyshally with a warrior's wife precedes decree nisi', which was published in Perth's Truth newspaper makes clear, Jack Shean, who was a butcher by trade, was also a philanderer:

Ella Adeline Shean applied to Judge Rooth on Thursday last week for a decree releasing her from the bonds of more or less holy matrimony with Cecil John Shean. The ground for the application was the adultery of Cecil John, "with some woman unknown, at some place unknown". Mr. E. G. Bateman appeared for the petitioner. The respondent was originally represented by Mr. J. W. Clydesdale, but neither he nor the respondent were present at the court. His Honor inquired why it was so. Mr. Bateman said the respondent had been ordered by the court to put up certain costs. He had not done so, and therefore he had been guilty of contempt and not entitled to appear. His solicitor, when the order could not be obeyed, had withdrawn from the case --- In her evidence the petitioner said they were married on August 21, 1911 and lived in different places until finally they settled in Leederville. At the time of the marriage the respondent was a butcher, but latterly he had been following what Mr. Bateman called "the vocation of a fish hawker." In July last the respondent made reference to some woman when she had complained about his being out at night. He said he had got a soldier's wife into trouble. He wanted to bring the woman into their own home so she could be laid up, and they could keep the chiid. The petitioner has not had any family. However, she declined to entertain the proposal, and she expressed her surprise at the respondent's explanation. She spoke to him on several occasions about the matter, and he always persisted in his statement. She had not believed him at first, but eventually she did so, and she ceased to cohabit with him --- Florence May Austin, a sister of the petitioner, said she spoke to the respondent about the matter in July last. She said the petitioner had been a good wife to him, and he "just laughed" and went out --- Fanny Hickmott, aunt of the petitioner, said she visited the petitioner's residence in July last. Only the respondent was home. He said he supposed she had heard "about it". The witness said she had heard that he was accused of getting a woman in a certain condition, and, she added, that surely it could not be the truth. The respondent laughed. She said she had not come to make trouble, but to try and make peace. The respondent replied, "Pooh, pooh; it is too late." Later on. in the petitioner's presence, in reply to some questions, the respondent admitted he had been responsible for the woman's condition. A decree nisi was granted, with costs against the respondent (21 September 1918).

The electoral rolls indicate that Ella went back to live at Brookton where, in 1922, she married Charles Lock (1884-1923). Sadly about 18 months later, Charles was severely injured in a work accident. As the Beverley Times informed its readers: 'he was attending to a stationary engine and the belt flew off and struck him, inflicting severe injuries. He was brought into Brookton Wednesday evening and taken to Perth, where soon after entering the hospital he was placed on the danger list and passed away on the 14th inds. His body was brought back to Brookton on Monday last and was interred in the Methodist portion of the local cemetery, which was well attended by a large crowd' (22 December 1923). Undaunted by her wretched experience, the redoubtable Ella got married again, to a local boy and veteran of the Great War, Robert Bowron (1897-1981), at either Brookton or Beverley in 1927.

According to the Winchester and a number of other family trees on Ancestry, Robert was the son of David Bowron (1860-1941) and Alice Maria Burrows (1861-1937) who were married in 1906 and had five children in addition to Robert: Emily (1891-1937), Maragret (1893-96), Rosa may (1894-96), Annie (1898-1960) and Hilda Mary Bowron (1901-2000). The Australian National Archives shows that at 19 years of age, Robert enlisted in the First AIF at Blackboy Hill. He was allocated to the reinforcements for the 28th Battalion and sailed from Fremantle on the HMAT Shropshire in April 1916. After spending some time training and in hospital at Suez with measles, he sailed from Alexandria on 2 June 1916 and disembarked at Plymouth six days later. He proceeded to France on 5 September and after training at Etaples joined the 28 Battalion on 23 September 1916. Over the ensuing year he spent as much time in hospital as in the field. Finally, after succumbing to a septic heel on 17 March 1917, he was repatriated back to England where he spent time in hospital at Brighton, Dartford and Weymouth. After a medical board eventually found him unfit for active service, he returned Australia on 3 October 1917 and was discharged from the Army on 28 November the same year.

The 1936/7 electoral rolls Ella and Robert, a repairer for the WAGR, were living at Congelin. They were at Popanyinning in the division of Forrest in 1943 and, in 1949, at 49 Mandurah Rd South Fremantle where Robert was employed as a railway worker. They were at 343 Oxford St in Leederville in 1954, 36 Blackwood Street in Mount Hawthorn in 1958, and 23 Upton Street St James from 1963 to the time of Ella's death there in 1975. Robert then moved back to Wyalkatchem where he died in 1981. Although still to be confirmed, we believe that Ella and Robert had a daughter, Gladys Wilma Bowron (pictured with her parents in the photo below), who was born at Perth in 1931 and married Colin Owen Marsh in the beverley RD of WA in 1948. They can be seen on the electoral rolls between 1954 and 1968 (living first at Oingelly and then in Perth). Thereafter their trail runs cold.

jack and ella shean nee hickmott

Sent to us by Matt Dean, this photo has written on the back of it:
'To Dear Will & Frances with love from Jack & Ella (write soon)'.
We think it was taken sometime between 1911 and 1918 and is of Ella Hickmott
and her first husband Cecil John Shean.

ella adeline hickmott & family rebecca elsie hickmott & family

The photo on the left is of Robert and Ella Adeline Bowron (nee Hickmott) and their daughter Wilma.
Thay on the right is of Selby and Rebecca Elsie Whittington (nee Hickmott) and sons Arthur James, Maurice Andrew and Kenneth Selby.

7. Rebecca Elsie Hickmott (1898-1989)

Born at Lalbert in 1898, Elsie moved with her parents and siblings to Brookton in the Western Australian wheat belt region in around 1909. In March 1915 she married a local boy, Robert Spice, at her parent's residence, 'Dingley Dell' outside Brookton. The following report of the wedding was published in The Pingelly Leader a couple of weeks later:

A very pretty wedding celebrated on March 30th at the residence of the bride's parents. Was that of Mr. Robert Spice, eldest son of Mr. H. Spice, of Stoney Crossing, to Miss Elsie, youngest daughter of Mr. and. Mrs. H. E. Hickmott, 'Dingley Dell', Brookton. The bride, who was given away by her father, looked lovely in a robe of cream lace over satin, with a court train of satin and true lovers knots of pearl beads; she also wore the usual wreath and veil. The bridesmaid was Miss Gertie Spice, whilst little Miss Thelma Weise, who acted as train-bearer, made a dainty little picture. The former looked charming in a gown of white silk with white felt hat trimmed with pink ostrich plumes; the latter wore a pretty frock of cream silk, trimmed with cream lace and pale blue sash, she also wore a cream hat trimmed with pale blue. Mr.George Spice supported the bridegroom as best man. The reception was held in the dining room, where the guests assembled at the invitation of Mr and Mrs Hickmott. After the various toasts had been disposed of the happy couple left by motor for Perth and the caves, where the honeymoon will be spent. The bride's travelling dress was a brown silk crepe de chine, with hat to match. The presents were numerous and costly (22 April 1915).

Sadly Robert died at Brookton in 1919 and was buried in the local cemetery. We don't think he and Elsie had any children. Elsie then lived with her parents at 'Dingley Dell' until her second marriage, to a returned soldier Selby Maurice Whittington (1894-1959), in Perth in 1920. Born at Brookton, Selby was the third son of a local farmer, John Whittington (1857-1910) - pictured below on the left - and his first wife, Isabella Strange (1861-1910). Married at nearby Beverley in 1889, John and Isabella had six children in addition to Selby: Lionel Norman (1890-1961), Harold John Claude (1892-1952), Ivan Gerald William (1897-1976), Gladys Elfie Helena (1899-1991), Alban Frederick Onslow (1903-86) and Vernon Richard James Whittington (1905-84). The WA index of BDMs shows Gladys E H Whittington married William John Holdsworth (1894-1973) in the Beverley RD in 1921. Born at Cannum near Warracknabeal in Victoria, William was the younger brother of Enoch Holdsworth (1892-1966) who had married Elsie's older sister, Ruby Minnie Hickmott (1893-1941), at Brookton in 1916 (see above).

john whittingtonAs detailed in Volume 2 of The Cyclopedia of Western Australia (a copy of which is available for viewing on Ancestry), both John and Isabella were members of Western Australia's early pioneering families. John was born in the old Swan settlement near Guildford in 1857, the 'son of the late James Whittington, who came to Western Australia from England in the first year of the foundation of the colony, and was afterwards identified with the sandalwood and agricultural industries in the Brookton district'. After working with his father and brothers on their 'Rosedale' property for a number of years, John leased land south-east of Brookton on which he worked until successive droughts forced him to relinquish his lease and move into the Beverley township. richard strangeThere he worked as a baker and married Isabella in 1889. Not long after their marriage, they acquired a new block of land near Brookton which they named 'Glen Dale' farm. By the time of the Cycopedia's publication, the farm had been expanded to over 1500 acres with some 400 of these under cultivation and some 'seven acres of first class orchard land . . . planted with a carefully chosen selection of fruit trees'. Isabella's father, Richard Strange - pictured on the right - was a native of Wiltshire in England. He came to Western Australia in the late 1830s, married Sarah Stevens (1822-1919) at Swan in 1844 and became involved in the agricultural and grazing industries in the York district of Western Australia. His 'Hillside' property, which had been previously owned by 'a Mr Withnell of northwest fame', was initially 300 acres in size but was supplemented by a grazing lease which allowed Richard and his eldest son, Andrew Strange, to run sheep in the surrounding country. Richard Strange died in 1882 and Andrew, who had married Isabella's sister, Elizabeth Whittington {1851-1942) in 1871 and had 10 children with her, eventually bought much of the leased land.

Isabella Whittington nee Strange died after a long illness at Beverley Hospital on 16 July 1910 and was buried in the Brookton cemetery. John, assisted by his sons, continued to farm at Glendale. In 1929 he married Edith Margaret Viney (1881-1944) who the year before, readers of The Beverley Times were informed, had 'taken charge of the Brookton Hospital'. The report added that 'Sister Viney is well-known to many of the AIF, having served in the hospitals of the Force, at home and abroad' (23 March 1928). According to the 'Cartledge Family Tree' on Ancestry, Edith was born at Morven in Tasmania, the youngest daughter of Robert Viney (1833-1900) and his second wife, Elizabeth Sawyer (1841-1908), who were married at Evandale (formerly Morven) in 1878. Edith had two siblings - Herbert and Harold Frederick Viney - and no less than nine half-siblings from her father's first marriage. Robert Viney was a native of Pitney in Somerset and, in 1842, sailed on the ARAB with his parents and siblings from London to Launceston where his father was indentured to a James Cox owner of the 'Clarendon' estate. A copy of the 'WA Registration of Nurses 1919-49' contained in the Carnamah Historical Society Museum, shows Edith worked as an ATNA-registered midwife at Brookton in 1931, Toodyay in 1932, Jarrahdale in 1933, Brookton again in 1934 and Wiluna from 1935 to 1937. The 2 January 1936 edition of The West Australian informed its readers that 'Mr John Whittington, a pioneer of Brookton, died at the age of 79 years on Christmas morning [and his] funeral was one of the largest ever known at Brookton'. A year later, Edith placed the following notice in the same newspaper: 'WHITTINGTON (John) - In loving memory of our dear Husband and Father, who passed away December 25, 1935. Ever remembered. Inserted by his loving wife, Edith (Sister Viney) and family'. The record of Edith's professional employment, cited earlier, indicates that she returned to Tasmania in 1938. Edith died there six years later, her death notice, posted in the Launceston Examiner on 6 March 1944, reading: 'WHITTINGTON - On March 4, 1944, at the General Hospital, Launceston, Edith Margaret (Sister Edith Viney), widow of John Whittington, and third daughter of the late Robert and Elizabeth Viney, of Somerton, FingaL Aged 63 years' (Edith's death was also reported in the Pingelly-Brookton Leader on 6 April 1944).The Find-a-Grave website tells us she is buried in the Carr Villa Memorial Park in Launceston. Although still to be confirmed, we don't think she and John had any children.

glen dale farm

John and Isabella Whittington's 'Glen Dale' estate at Brookton in Western Australia.

selby maurice whittingtonOn 15 November 1915, Selby Maurine Whittington (pictured in uniform on the left) enlisted in the First AIF at Blackboy Hill. He was then 21 years and three months old, was working as a farm labourer and had been born at Brookton, the son of John Whittington of East Brookton. His attestation papers show he had previously served 15 months in the 25th Light Horse. Initially allocated to the 16th Battalion, Selby embarked from Fremantle on the SS Multiades on 12 February 1916 and disembarked at Port Suez four weeks later. There he was transferred to the newly-formed 48th Battalion and sailed from Alexandria on 2 June 1916 to Marseilles in France where he and his unit were soon in action in the Battle of the Somme.

Selby was wounded in action on four separate occasions. The first, a GSW to the left hip occurred on 5 August 1916 (most likely at Pozieres) and saw him hospitalised at Etaples before being shipped back to England a week later. He spent time in hospital at Chatham in Kent before being cleared for duty and posted to Perham Downs on 3 October 1916 (where he spent a further period in hospital with the mumps). He sailed back to France on 29 April 1917 and, following training at Etaples, rejoined his old unit on 3 March. Promoted to LCpl on 28 August 1917, he suffered a GSW to the mouth two weeks later - possibly at Bullecourt - and spent time in a Base Hospital at Rouen. On rejoining his unit he was again wounded in action (on 5 April 1918) and repatriated back to England. Selby returned to the front on 16 August 1918 and was again wounded (a GSW to the thigh) two days later. He pent time in hospital in France, where was promoted to Cpl on 26 August 1918 before returning to his unit, thankfully after hostilities had ended. Returning to England in February 1919, he eventually sailed for Australia on the SS Commonwealth and was discharged from the Army in Perth on 19 July 1919.

The electoral rolls for Western Australia show Elsie and Selby, who was working as a farmer, lived at Brookton between 1925 and 1954 (Norman Carter believes they may have lived on Henry's farm after Henry's death there in 1931). The following report in Perth's Sunday Times in December 1929, suggests they could have also lived there beforehand: 'To augment funds for a Christmas tree for the East Brookton State School, the school mistress (Kiss K. Symons) organised a successfui evening, which was held at the residence of Mrs. Selby Whittington. Sixteen motor cars conveyed the surrounding residents, who were well catered for. The older folks Indulged in bridge while the younger set danced and played games. Mrs. Arblaster and Mr. Duffy carried off the bridge prizes, and a happy company disbanded at a late hour'.The couple were still registered at Brookton in 1958 (the roll for that year also included there: Theresa Rebecca Elizabeth Whittington, Arthur James Whittington, baker and pastry-cook and Kenneth Selby Whittington, farmer). On 24 April the following year, The Beverley Times informed its readers that: 'The death occurred at the Beverley Hospital on Monday of Mr Selby Maurice Whittington, an elderly and well-known resident of Brookton and a veteran of the First World War. He is survived by a widow and large family. The funeral took place at Brookton on Wednesday'. The 1963 and 1968 rolls indicate that Rebecca remained at Brookton for a time before moving to Coolbellup in Fremantle. By the time of the 1980 elections, however, she was back at Brookton (at Unit 3 White Street) where she died in 1989 and was buried in the local cemetery.

florence austin and sisters

Taken at Kiamal in 1970 at William Henry and France Hickmott's 60th wedding anniversary, this photo shows
Rebecca Elsie Whittington nee Hickmott (on the right) with (from L/R): Florence Mary Wilmshurst (previously Austin) nee Hickmott,
Florence's eldest daughter Gladys Holdsworth nee Austin, and Ella Adeline Bowron nee Hickmott.

We are uncertain exactly how many children made up Selby and Elsie's 'large family'. The notices published in the West Australian immediately after the death of their second son, Maurice Andrew Whittington, indicate Elsie and Selby had seven additional children - Arthur, Ken, Frank, Julie, Rhonda, Beryl and Bob - and nine grandchildren. As detailed below, we have so far put together what we know about six of these eight as follows

simmonds family1) The Department of Veterans Affairs WW2 nominal roll show Elsie and Selbey's eldest son, Arthur James Whittington (1920-90), enlisted in the second AIF at Claremont on 4 June 1941 and served in the 2/3 Australian Field Regiment. On 16 October 1941, the Pingelly-Brookton Leader reported that 'Gunner Arthur Whittington, of the Narrogin AIF camp, is at present spending his pre-embarkation leave at his home in Brookton. A civic farewell will be held in his honour in the Brookton Hall this Thursday night'. Although still to be confirmed, this suggests Arthur joined the regiment in Palestine after it had been evacuated from Greece and then Crete. If so he would have been in the Middle East until February 1942 when the regiment, together with the rest of the 6th Division was re-called to Australia in response to the growing threat posed by Japan. Arriving in Adelaide in March of that year, the regiment was stationed at Aldgate until May when it was transferred to Townsville and assigned a coastal defence role in Cairns. It then spent time undergoing jungle warfare training at Wondeclar on the Atherton Tablelands before being deployed on operations into the Aitape-Wewak region of New Guinea. Following the cessation of hostilities, the regiment returned to Australia where it was disbanded at Puckapunyal in Victoria in January 1946.

Arthur was discharged from the Army on 18 April 1946. On 27 March the following year, the Pingelly-Brookton Leader reported that 'Mr Arthur Whittington spent last weekend with his parents in Brookton. Arthur has been working for an ex-Brookton baker (Mr B. Sturmer), at Harvey, since his discharge from the army last year. He is now going to a job at Kalamunda. Brother Frank is also in the bakery business and is serving his apprenticeship at Lake Grace'. The 'WA Reverse Marriages' index shows Arthur married Amelia Nora Fabre Simmonds (1930-2013) in the Beverley registration district of WA in 1948. A report of their wedding published in the Pingelly-Brookton Leader on 27 May 1948 provides more details including that: 'Vases of roses, chrysanthemums and dahlias provided colourful decorations for the Anglican Church, Brookton on Saturday May 15 last, when a very pretty wedding was solemnised between Amelia Nora (Millie) Simmonds and Arthur James, second son of well-known Brookton residents in Mr and Mrs S. M. Whittington. Miss Elaine Boobbyer was bridesmaid and the Best Man was Mr Frank Whittington, brother of the groom. The Rev. R. W. Churchill officiated'. The 'Whittington Family Tree' on Ancestry tells us Millie was born at Mullewa in Western Australia, eldest daughter of a Londoner, James Patrick Simmonds (1906-79) and Perth-born Jessie Amelie Nellie Fabre (1904-88) who were married at Geraldton in Western Australia in 1928 and had five children in addition to Millie (the photo on the left, which is from the 'Whittington Family Tree' on Ancestry, shows Millie, in the hat on the right, with her parents and three siblings - James, Colin and Ambrose Simmonds - at Wiluna in Western Australia in around 1934).

After their marriage at Brookton in 1948, Arthur and Millie Whittington lived at Brookton where Arthur continued working as a baker and pastry cook and playing for the local football team (in 1949 he served as captain of the Pingelly-Brookton Association team in that year's Northam Carnival), In around 1965 they moved to South Fremantle where Arthur worked as a storeman. It seems they may have separated sometime between 1980 and 1990, the year of Arthur's death in Perth. Buried at Brookton, his headstone reads: 'Father of Donald, Lynette and Colin. Husband to Amelie and Duangkamon'. Millie died at Nedlands in Perth in 2013 and is buried in the Fremantle cemetery. Her gravestone reads: 'Amelie Fabre-Simmonds 12.11.1930 to 16.01.2013 Devoted mother of Donald, Lynette and Colin Whittington Much loved grandmother of Shannon, Evan, Toby, James and Ian Whittington'.

2) Arthur's younger brother, Maurice Andrew Whittington (1921-51), served in the RAN during the Second World War and married Mavis Snow (1918-73), the younger daughter of Alfred Harold Snow (1887-1969) and Olga Amelia Vale (1893-1979), in the Beverley registration district in 1941. alfred snowAs the following report in the Pingelly-Brookton Leader shows, Mavis' older sister, Beryl Snow, had married Maurice's cousin, Henry Claude Whittington, at Mourambine the previous year: 'Wedding Bells. WHITTINiGTON - SNOW. The marriage took place at Mourambine, on Wednesday afternoon June 12, at St Patrick's Church between Henry Claude Whittington eldest son of Mr and Mrs H. C. Whittingtcn, Brookton, and Beryl Snow, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs A. H. Snow, "Wynarling". The Rev Canon Atwell officiated . . . . Her sister, Miss Mavis Snow, was bridesmaid . . . After the ceremony Mrs Snow entertained at "Wynarling" the near relatives of bride and bridegroom being present' (20 June 1940). Harold and Olga Snow are both buried in the Mourambine cemetery (he in Grave 260 she in Grave 141). Olga's headstone says she was the dearly loved wife of Alfred Harold Snow and fond mother of Beryl and Mavis.

The 'abe family tree' on Ancestry tells us Harold Snow's parents were Alfred Snow (1848-1919), a native of Margaretting in Essex, and Mary Ann Walton (1849-89) who Alfred married at Beverley in 1869. According to the Cyclopedia of Western Australia (Volume 2, pp. 676-7), Alfred sailed with his parents and siblings from England to Western Australia in 1852 and worked as a shepherd 'until he was sufficiently strong to take up the the more laborious side of pastoral and agricultural enterprise'. This involved cutting sandalwood timber and carting it from York to Perth (a fifteen to twenty-day round trip). In whatever time he had left, Alfred worked on the 100-acre block of land he had acquired in 1874, slowly transforming it into the "Grass Valley" estate which, by the turn of the century, extended over 1600 acres. Included on the estate was the old Wynarling homestead and associated land which had first belonged to John Seabrook. As well as farming his land, Alfred served as a member of the Pingelly Roads Board and a warden of the Mourambine Anglican Church. Alfred's wife, Mary Ann, was a daughter of Henry Thomas Walton (1828-64) who came from Warwickshire in England and married Mary Ann Parker (1826-67), a native of Lyminge in Kent, at York in Western Australia in 1849. She and Alfred had four sons and five daughters. Mavis and Beryl Snow's maternal grandparents were James Henry Vale (1858-1927) and Esther Amy Amelia Robe (1861-1937) who are buried together in the Pingelly cemetery. According to the 'Shane Booth Family Tree' on Ancestry, James was born at Ballarat and died at Bullaring in Western Australia. Esther was born at Epsom in Victoria and also died at Bullaring. They were married at Long Gully in Sandhurst near Bendigo in 1886 and, after spending time at Peak Hill in central NSW, moved to Western Australia in around 1900.

The 1949 electoral roll shows Maurice, a farmer, and Mavis Whittington living at Brookton where Maurice died two years later and was buried in the local cemetery. His gravestone states that he was the 'Husband of Mavis and father of Brian and Sandra'. The 'Whittington Family Tree' on Ancestry also tells us that Brian married Rosemary Patroni (1942-2001) and had two children both of whom are married and one of whom has three children. It adds that Mavis married James Ernest Cann in 1953 and had at least one son with him: Jim Cann (1955-2014).

grass valley pingelly

Alfred Snow's 'Grass Valley' property, Pingelly Western Australia.

3) Kenneth Selby Whittington (1923-99), was born at Brookton, enlisted in the Australian Army at Rottnest on 28 July 1942 and served as a gunner in the 1st Australian Sound Ranging Battery. He was discharged on 21 June 1946 the same year he married Perth-born Elaine Freida Douglas (1924-2019), the youngest daughter of Charles Edwin Douglas (1895-1981) and Mary May Stuart (1898-1966) who were married in Perth in 1919. Like Ken, Elaine had also served in the Australian Army during the Second World War. The Department of Veterans' Affairs WW2 nominal roll shows she enlisted at Claremont in Perth on 13 September 1942. At the time of her discharge on 5 February 1946 she was a Cpl in the 8th Australian Anti-Aircraft and Fortress Company. The Australian electoral rolls show them living at Borden near Katanning in 1949 and at Brookton, where Ken was working as a farmer, at the time of the 1954 and 1963 elections. By the time of the 1968 election Ken had retired from farming and he and Elaine were living in Mandurah. They seem to have separated by the time of the 1977 election the roll for which has Ken, a security manager, and a Gwendoline Eva Whittington, secretary, living at Calingri northeast of Perth (Elaine was registered as living in the Perth suburb of Como). The 1980 electoral roll shows Ken and Gwendoline at Geraldton, where Ken was working as a greenkeeper, while Elaine was in Bayswater in Perth.

The Perth Metropolitan Cemeteries Board website shows that Ken died at the Fremantle suburb of Spearwood on 28 January 1999, was cremated and his ashes taken by the funeral director of the Fremantle cemetery. The Cemeteries Board website further informs us Elaine Whittington, aged 94 years, died at Canning Vale in Perth on 9 May 2009. She was also cremated and her ashes are memorialised at Pinneroo Valley Memorial Park (Cockatoo Trail, Garden B, Position 107). Her tribute, published in the West Australian on 13 May 2019, reads in part: 'WHITTINGTON Elaine (nee Douglas): 12.09.1924 - 09.05.2019 Youngest daughter of Charles and Elsie (both dec). Sister to Rita, Esther (dec), Chessell (dec), Lloyd (dec) and Victor (dec). Aunt to 16’. Although still to be confirmed, we don't think she and Ken had any children.

4) Ronda Elsie Whittington (1944-2006) married a West Pingelly farmer, Peter Leslie Watts in around 1965. Also born in 1944, Peter is the youngest of three children of Leslie Samuel Watts (1909-90) and Enid Smith (1910-93) who were married at St Luke's Church in Pingelly, on 7 September 1933. A report of their wedding in the Pingelly-Brookton Leader tells us Enid was the youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs Douglas Smith, and Les the eldest son of Mr and Mrs A. S Watts, of Taylors Well. Les' brother served as best man while Enid's bridesmaid was her sister Lal. The church, the report added, 'was beautifully decorated by Miss McBurney, with an abundance of white flowers on the altar and in every recess . . . the young couple left the church to the strains of Mendelsohn's "Wedding March" and proceeded to the home of the bride's parents, where the reception was held' (14 September 1933).

george stedman wattsThe 'Barron/Daniels Family Tree' on Ancestry tells us Leslie Samuel Watts was born at Pingelly in 1909, the second son of Alfred Sherwood Watts (1879-1968) and Eleanor Josephine Dowsett (1889-1957) who were married at York in WA in 1906 and had six additional children: Alfred David (1907-20), Leon Raymond (1911-2004), Victor Alex (1913-84), Pretoria Eleanor May (1917-2010), Roy Ronald (1918-39) and Iris Myrtle Warry (1927-95). The Department of Veterans Affairs' WW2 nominal roll shows W74013 Leslie Samuel Watts enlisted in the Australian Army at West Pingelly on 3 May 1942 and served with the 10th Battalion (no date of discharge provided). After their marriage in 1933, Les and Enid lived at West Pingelly where Les and his brothers Leon, Victor and Ronald (who died in a car accident in 1939) farmed land at Hotham Dale. At the time of the 1980 election, Les and Enid were living on Paragon Street in Pingelly along with their daughter, Denise Watts (1936-2011), who had earlier been living at Biberkine in West Pingelly and working as a farmer. The Pingelly cemetery records show Leslie Samuel Watts, the 'husband of Enid and father of Denise, Ian and Peter', died on 8 Jun 1990. Enid died three years later and is buried with Les in the Pingelly cemetery (Anglican section, grave B61).

Peter Leslie Watts and his two siblings came from another of Western Australia's early pioneering families. Their great great grandfather, George Stedman Watts (1804-89) - pictured on the left - was born at Bermondsey in London and, according to an article on the Watts family written by 'Hugh Kalyptus' for Perth's Daily News in 1922, arrived at Fremantle 'in the year 1829 - a few weeks after the Parmelia, with Governor Stirling and family on board, anchored in Gage Roads'. He married a native of Liverpool in England, Amelia Elizabeth Belinda Blagg (1815-96), in Perth two years later where the wedding was conducted

. . . by the Rev Burdett Wittenoom in the bullrush church which stood upon the block fronting Hay and Irwin streets now occupied by the University buildings. Mr Watts was the State's first mail contractor, and for a considerable period he carried on his back a daily mail, each way, between Perth and Fremantle for the remuneration of £1 per week, his feet being covered with opossum skins, when boots were not procurable. The mail route was via Freshwater Bay (now Claremont), to North Fremantle, thence to Fremantle by ferry. For many years the Watts family lived at what is now known as Leederville, on the banks of a tributary at Lake Georgina, that was called Joppa, which environment bestowed tbe sobriquet of 'Joppa' Watts upon [Western Australia's] first mailman. The Watts familv also pioneered the Upper Canning, now known as Cannington and Queen's Park, where Watts-road perpetuates their memory . . . Mrs Watts was a tall, handsome woman of striking personality. Her husband possessed exceptional literary attainments, and had travelled over a considerable portion of Europe before coming to the Swan River Settlement. They had a large family of stalwart sons and bonnie daughters whose descendants have bucolic leanings; and are remarkable for their optimism, intelligence and industry (6 May 1922).

The 'Lost Pingelly' facebook account tells us according to Watts family folklore, 'while farming at Canning, two of their horses escaped with two of the sons in pursuit. They tracked the horses all the way through the bush to what is now Wandering where they found the horses happily feeding on grassland with a natural water supply. While the boys were away, the homestead at Canning was destroyed by fire and the boys convinced the family to move to Wandering and set about farming there. It is also legend that Wandering was named after the area found by the wandering horses'. George and Amelia Watts both died at Wandering, he in 1889 and she in 1896, and are buried in the local cemetery. As 'Hugh Kalyptus' recounted, their descendants now 'control large areas of the Great Southern country, chiefly between Pingelly, Wandering and Konjonap, and, like their ancestors, are renowned for their integrity, industry, and hospitality'. They included our Peter's great grandparents, Francis (Frank) Stedman Watts (1846-1900) and Frances (Fanny) Sherwood (1849-1933) who were married in Perth in 1868 and, like Frank's parents, had eleven children most of whom also had 'bucolic leanings'.

watts family

From the Cass Family Tree' on Ancestry, this photo is of Frances Fanny Sherwood
and members of her and Francis (Frank) Stedman Watts' family.

Frank and Fanny's sixth son, Alfred Sherwood Watts (1879-1968) married Eleanor Josephine Dowsett (1890-1957) at York in Western Australia in April 1906 and had seven children including, as described earlier, Peter's father, Leslie Samuel Watts (1909-90) who, with his wife Enid, lived and worked all his life at Pingelly. Peter's grandmother also had long connections with Western Australia's south-western region. As his obituary informs us, her father Samuel Dowsett (1858-1917) was 'born at Guildford and came to Wandering in the year 1863. After being connected with the sandalwood Industry, he settled down to agricultural pursuits and was one of the old pioneers who have done so much to make Wandering one of the most thriving districts in the South West' (Western Mail, 26 january 1917). Samuel married Theresa Alice Barron (1866-1930) in Perth in 1885 and had eight children. They lived all their married lives at Wandering and are buried next to each other in the Roman Catholic section of the local cemetery. Also buried there are Samuel's parents - Samuel Dowsett (1828-93) and Eliza Guerin (1829-1918) - and Samuel and Eleanor's youngest son, Yelveton Alfred James Dowsett (1909-97), who served in the 2/28th Battalion during the Second World War.

As described above, Samuel and Enid Watts lived and farmed at Pingelly after their marriage in 1933, and both are buried in the local cemetery there. The electoral rolls show their three children - Denise, Ian and Peter Watts - all worked as farmers in the Pingelly/West Pingelly and, in Ian's case, Popanyinning areas during the 1970 and 1980s. The 'Find-a-Grave' and Pingelly cemetery records tell us the following members of the family are buried there: 1) Ronda Elsie Watts (1944-2006). Loving wife of Peter and mother of Peta, Jodie and Leanne (Anglican section, Grave 106); 2) Denise Watts (1936-2011). Loving daughter of Les and Enid. Sister to Ian and Peter (Anglican section, Grave 76); and 3) Ian Leslie Watts (1941-2016). Loving husband of Jennifer Anne loved father of Dean and Mark. (Anglican section, Grave 91) His tribute posted in The West Australian on 23 August 201 reads: 'WATTS (Ian Leslie): Passed away suddenly on 20.8.2016. Dearly and much loved husband of Anne, loving father to Dean and Mark. Loving father-in-law to Tanya and Donna. Cherished Poppy of Chloe, Lauren, Shannon'.

5) Born at Brookton in 1938, Julie Jeanette Whittington married Richard Ernest (Dick) Crameri (1929-2019) there in 1955. Dick was born at Port Hedland in the Pilbara region of Western Australia, the youngest son of William Leonard Crameri (1886-1947) and Edith Maud Atkinson (1888-1974) who were married at Roebourne, a former goldrush town inland from Karratha. A description of the wedding, published in Carnarvon's Northern Times on 11 July 1908, tells us William was the youngest son of J. A. Crameri of Kanowna and Edith the second daughter of the late Richard Atkinson. It adds 'Considerable Interest was taken in the marriage as the bride's family are old residents of Roebourne, and the bridegroom is engaged in business in the town. The bride, who was given away by her brother Richard, was attended by Miss Alma Atkinson as bridesmaid, whilst Mr Con Glaseen supported the bridegroom'. The Australian electoral rolls show that William Leonard Crameri worked as a hairdresser at Roebourne and later Port Hedland where he died on 2 August 1947. He is buried in the Port Hedland Pioneer Cemetery (Plot 318).

The Victorian index of BDMs shows William was born at Timor in Victoria in 1886, the son of John [Antonio] Crameri and Monica Frances Egan who were married in Victoria in 1876 (the LDS Family Search website shows a William 'Lynard' Crameri, son of John Crameri and Monica Eagan, was baptised at Maryborough in Victoria on 17 July 1886). John and Monica had five children we know of in addition to William all born at Timor: Mary Catherine McGrath (1877-1903), John Charles (1879-1940), Peter Antoni (1881-1943), Elizabeth May Ruedin (1883-1969) and Margaret Gertrude Crameri (1888-8). Monica Crameri nee Egan died at Maryborough in 1889. The Victorian BDMs index tells us she was 33 years old and her parents were Peter Egan and Margaret Cholahan. Sometime after Monica's death, John and their surviving children moved to Western Australia where, in 1907, John and his sons Peter and John Charles took out a small mining lease half-way between Kalgoorlie and Kanowna. The WA Outback Family History website shows John Antonie Crameri, aged 68, was buried in the RC section of the Kalgoorlie cemetery on 24 May 1915. A subsequent notice published in the Perth Sunday Times tells us probate from the will of 'John Antonio Crameri, late of Karramia', was granted to John Charles Crameri and Thomas Scott Nugent. John Charles is also buried in the Kalgoorlie cemetery. His funeral notice published in the Kalgoorlie Miner on 22 April 1940, reads: 'CRAMERI - The friends of Mrs I[sobel] Crameri, snr, and family of Kalgoorlie, Mr and Mrs W. L. Crameri and family of Port Hedland, Mr and Mrs W. Douglas and family of 251 Dugan street, Nurse Balinswella of Kalgoorlie, Mrs Bright of Williamstown Kalgoorlie, are respectfully informed that the remains of their late beloved husband, step-father, brother, brother-in-law, cousin and uncle respectively, John Charles, late of abattoirs Kalgoorlie, will be removed from W. Strother's Private Mortuary Chapel, 18 Hannan street, Kalgoorlie . . . for interment in the Roman Catholic portion of the Kalgoorlie Cemetery'. John's wife, Isobel Crameri aged 81 years, was buried with him in the Kalgoorlie cemetery on 22 May 1950.

William Leonard and Edith Maud Crameri had five children in addition to Dick: 1) William John (Jack) Crameri (1908-98); 2) Doreen May Bridge (born in 1910); 3) Vera Veronica Wilson (1912-2001); 4) Valentine (Val) Roy Crameri (1919-75); and Dick's twin sister Merle Jeanette Phillips (1929-2013). Both Jack and Val served in Australia's armed forces during the Second World War, Jack with the Army and Val with the RAAF from September 1939 until January 1946. Trained as a morse code operator Val left the Air Force as a Flight Sergeant with 57 Operational Base Unit. Like his older brother Jack, Dick Crameri worked all his life in the Australian Postal service. At the age of 18 he went to Perth to attend a postal school. As reported in the Northern Times 'on the eve of his departure, his friends gathered at the Hall to give him a farewell party. Dancing to a gramophone was enjoyed, and by the courtesy of the ladies, a dainty supper was served . . . The hand must have been very limp with all the fareweli handshakes' (19 December 1947). Dick returned to Port Hedland after his course and continued working at the Post Office there until the middle of 1952 when, according to the Northern Times:

"King" Crameri has now vacated his throne behind the counter of the Post Office, and is going on 41/2 months leave before taking his post at Bassendean [in Perth]. Dick gave a dinner party at the Pier Hotel on Thursday, worthy of any King. The table was excellent in every respect, champagne being among the delights of the evening, which were too numerous to mention here. The guests . . . all looked extremely civilised, having dug out their city clothes from the bottom of their trunks, and the whole occasion was a very urbane one, quite suitable for a royal farewell. Dick, who is leaving in the "Kabbarli", will be missed in Port Hedland, his interests were many, and darts contests will lose much of their "zing" without his patronage. He acted as combined announcer, score-keeper and cheerleader (12 June 1952).

In 1954 Dick was working as a relief postal clerk at Albany and his is future wife, Julie Whittington, was elected as the Secretary of the Brookton Ladies' Hockey Club. They married the following year and began living in the Post Office quarters at Brookton where Dick had been appointed Postmaster. The Australian electoral roles show they continued to live there until at least the late 1970s (the 1977 roll shows a Maurice Leonard, storekeeper, and Shahan Annette Crameri living at 37 Richardson Street in Brookton). The 1980 roll has Julie and Richard, still the local postmaster, living on Cumming Street in Brookton along with Kim Maree Crameri, shop assistant. Over this time, Dick and Julie continued to pursue their sporting and other interests as well as find time, in 1962, to undertake an overseas holiday. The Shire of Brookton 'Heritage Inventory Review 2014' tells us 'In 1959, R & V Spice opened a drapery store, operating until 1970 when Julie Crameri took over the drapery business, opening Julie's Fashions, employing 5 staff. Julie's Fashions closed 19 years later in 1989'. It also tells us 'From 1954 Dick Crameri worked at the post office, predominantly as Postmaster during his service, retiring in 1991'. As well as serving as Secretary of the Brookton Golf Club, Dick also became heavily involved in lawn bowls. On 23 February 1968, the Beverley Times informed its readers, 'Dick Crameri the popular Brookton postmaster who takes much interest in several branches of sport, has been selected for the bowls section of the postal "Olympics" to be held at Melbourne next month, and will join the contingent of 130 competitors from this State. Also selected and making the trip is his wife, Julie, who will play with the badminton section of the contest'. Sometime after Dick's retirement he and Julie moved to Hall's Head, a coastal suburb of Mandurah to the south of Perth. The Ryerson Index shows Richard (Dick) Crameri, 89 and late of Hall's Head and formerly Brookton died on 16 May 2019. His tribute, published in the West Australian on 17/8 May 2019 reads: 'CRAMERI Richard (Dick): Passed away May 16, aged 89. Loving husband of Julie for 63 years, much loved father of Maurice and Kim, father-in-law to Shahan. Pop to 5 grand-children and great pop to 10'.

6) Elsie and Selby's youngest son, Frank Whittington, grew up in Brookton where he worked on his parents' farm and played for the local football team. In December 1953 he became engaged to Lesley Alison Nottle who, their engagement notice in The West Australian informs us, was the eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs C. G. Nottle of Dangin, a small wheatbelt town to the northeast of Brookton. They were married at Dangin twelve months later and shortly after Lesley's many friends and colleagues gathered in the Dangin Hall for a kitchen tea honouring the coming event and where, the York Chronicle informed its readers, everyone had 'a most enjoyable time . . . and many useful gifts were received' (18 November 1954). Lesley's parents were Cyril George Nottle (1909-87) and Rita Ann Bloom (1913-67) both of whom were born at York in Western Australia. They were married at Beverley on 9 May 1931 and had five children in all: Cliff, Ron, Lesley, Judith and Peter Nottle. Lesley's paternal grandparents were two South Australians, John Ernest Nottle (1879-1950) and Ada Selina Fowler (1879-1962) who were married at Greenhills near York in 1907. His obituary, published in the York Chronicle, tells us John Ernest 'was born at Gawler in South Australia and migrated to this State many years ago. Prior to commencing farming operations at Dulbelling, of which he was one of the pioneers, he was similarly occupied at Doodlakine and Malebelling. He was a very hard worker and although of a retiring disposition will be missed by a large circle of friends' (27 July 1950).

The Australian electoral rolls show that after their marriage in 1954, Frank and Lesley Whittington lived at Brookton until the late 1970s when they took up land at Newdegate near Lake Grace in Western Australia's Great Southern agricultural region. While at Brookton, Frank worked as a labourer and contractor and continued to be associated with the local football league, initially as a player, and later as a Vice President of, and selector for, the Avon Football Association. He also became involved in volunteer fire-fighting serving as an officer and then captain of the Brookton Volunteer Fire Brigade and later a member of the WA Fire Brigades Board. In March 1975, he was one of sixteen members of the Brookton Brigade who competed in the Victorian championships at Bendigo. 'The team, which made the journey by car, raised $3000 to finance the trip from a cabaret, shearing contracts and hay carting, and a raffle' (Beverley Times, 13 March 1975). After moving to Newdegate, Frank continued his volunteer fire-fighting work, and was a leading figure in the establishment of the Newdegate annual machinery field trials. As his grandfather, Henry Edward Hickmott, had done when he moved to Western Australia from Victoria, Frank also became involved in local politics, serving as a Councillor for both the Brookton and Lake Grace Shires. His work was formally recognised in January 1998 when he was awarded an Order of Australia Medal (OAM) in that year's New Year's Honours List. As reported in Community Spirit on 14 February 2019 - from which the photo below was taken - his investiture for the award read: 'Served as President of the WA Volunteer Fire Brigade Association 1978-1988, and was Vice President 1976- 1978. Elected in 1972 as Representative of the Great Southern Zone Volunteer Fire Brigades on the Executive of the Western Australian Fire Brigades Association (Inc). Instrumental in the formation of the National Assembly of Volunteer Fire Brigades and was Foundation President 1983-1989. He was a member of the Brookton Volunteer Fire Brigade 1949-1978, and Captain 1952-1978. Mr Whittington was a Shire Councillor, Brookton Shire 1959-1971; Councillor, Lake Grace Shire 1990-1992. Contributed as President to the Newdegate Machinery Field Day (second largest Field Day in WA)'.

frank whittington 1998

Frank Whittington with the Order of Australia Medal (OAM) and citation
which he received as part of the 1998 New Year's Honours.

Image sources:
'George Alfred Hickmott' and Arthur Hickmott from Win Noblet's The Hickmott Story 1825-1981 (Bendigo: Cambridge Press, 1981).
'Western Australian miners', 'Minnie Hickmott', 'Charles & Robert Hickmott', 'Charles Alfred Hickmott',' Ella & family' and 'Elsie and family' from private photograph collection .
'Enoch and Minnie Holdsworth's wedding', State Library of Western Australia online Image BA 1011/886.
Cecil John and Ella Shean nee Hickmott', courtesy of Matt Dean.
'Selby Maurice Whittington', from Dick Whittington's Family Tree on 'MyHeritage'.
'John Whittington','Richard Strange', 'Alfred Snow' and Alfred Snow's property 'Grass Valley' from The Cyclopedia of Western Australia Volume 2.
'Millie Simmonds and her parents and siblings' from the 'Whittington Family Tree' on Ancestry.
'George Stedman Watts (1804-89' from the State Library of Western Australia.

Hickmott family Rootsweb site Henry Edward Hickmott and Elizabeth Owen in Victoria
Henry Hickmott and Harriet Waters Samuel Hickmott

Go to Henry Edward and Elizabeth Hickmott in Western Australia:
Children and descendants: Part 1

Return to Henry Edward and Elizabeth Hickmott in Western Australia
Life and times

Return to First Families Home Page

Return to First Families Index