The children of Samuel Hickmott and Harriet Hartridge

1. Edward Hickmott (1821-1898)

(last updated 3 January 2021)

Samuel Hickmott and his first wife, Harriet Hartridge, had three sons Edward, James and Henry who were all born at Pembury in Kent. The boys lived at Pembury until late in 1830 first with their father and mother and then, following Harriet's death in 1827, with their father and stepmother, Eliza Tester. Eliza died while giving birth to their first child, William Hickmott, and was buried at Pembury on 14 August 1830. Samuel and his three older boys went to live at the nearby village of Lamberhurst (Samuel's place of birth). He left the infant William at Pembury in the care of Eliza's family. The 1841 census shows William, then aged 10 years, at the dwelling of Samuel and Mercy Anscomb (probably Eliza's sister) at 'Rensfort' in Pembury. I have not yet been able to locate him in any subsequent censuses.

Just prior to Christmas 1833 Samuel's boys were placed by their father into Lamberhurst's Poor House. They remained there for 18 months when they were released and went to live with Samuel at Windmill Field on the outskirts of Tunbridge Wells. Sometime in 1837 Samuel and his older brother, Thomas, were indicted for stealing three lambs from the property of a Sussex farmer, Samuel Pix. On hearing the news Samuel and Thomas took off. They remained at large until Christmas 1839 when they were arrested at the 'Brighton Railway'. The two brothers were tried at the Maidstone Assizes in January 1840, found guilty and transported to Van Diemen's Land in April the same year. Click here to read about their lives in Australia.

By this time Samuel's sons were working as apprentice brick makers and brick layers at Pembury and near the River Thames in northwest Kent. Their modest beginnings and circumstances did not constrain their future lives however. Like hundreds of thousands of their countrymen they were able to take advantage of the opportunities and prospects offered by the golden age of the British Empire. The oldest boy, Edward Hickmott, and his family tried their luck in India. As we will see many of them are buried there while the remainder eventually returned home in the wake of moves toward Indian independence. We can only wonder whether and how well they were able to readjust from the sights, sounds and sheer tumult of the 'Far East' to a more tranquil and constrained English lifestyle and set of sensibilities. They may have been helped by the fact that the second brother, James Hickmott, and his family spent their lives in England albeit in and around the bustling metropolis of London. The youngest brother, Henry Hickmott meanwhile, had emigrated to colonial Australia where he and his descendants would help establish the latest and most distant outpost of the British Empire. We don't know whether the three brothers and their wives (two of whom were sisters) wrote to each but would think it likely. While dealing with family matters and everyday happenings their correspondence would have provided a fascinating insight into a long-gone age.

Described below is what we have been able to discover to date about the lives and times of Samuel and Harriet's eldest son Edward Hickmott and his family and descendants. Those wishing to read about their younger sons should click here for James and here for Henry. The research findings supporting these various stories are contained on the Rootsweb site for the Hickmott and Owen families.

We will see that Edward, who worked as a brick maker and building contractor, spent a good deal of his early working life in India before returning to Great Britain at the beginning of the 1880s. He and his wife Mary Ann Goldsmith, who lived mostly in England and Wales and has a direct ancestral connection to Kate Middleton, the wife of Prince William, had six children and 22 grandchildren we are aware of. Three of their children were married in India and two died there. The Indian connection continued to be strong within the next generation with eleven grandchildren born, four married and five dying there (a further grandson died in Malaya and one in England during the First World War). As India moved towards independence, most of the family returned to Great Britain although some used emigrated to Australia. It is interesting that a good number either did not marry or seem not to have had children (to date we have only been able to identify some dozen or so of Edward and Mary Ann's great-grandchildren). We have been in contact with descendants of two lines of the family: Eric Heyes who lives in England and descends from Edward and Mary Ann's eldest daughter Mary Ann Hickmott, and Adrian Cowell who lives in Singapore and is a descendant of Mary Ann's younger brother, James Ernest Hickmott. As described below, Bruce Bennett, an Australian whose sister-in-law is a descendant of Edward and Mary Ann's youngest son Henry Charles William Hickmott, has recently provided photos and information about her line of the family.

calcutta trams

Calcutta trams

Edward Hickmott was born at Pembury in Kent on 4 February 1821. The 1841 census shows an Edward Hickmott, a 21 year-old brick maker who was born in Kent, residing in the Kent County Prison at Maidstone. While it is possible this was our Edward we think it unlikely as, according to Ancestry's England and Wales Criminal Register, 1791-1892, he was 24 years old at the time of his conviction at the Maidstone Assizes in 1841. We do know that our Edward married Mary Ann Goldsmith (1824-91) after banns in the Holy Trinity Church of England at Maidstone on 30 May 1842. Their wedding certificate shows Edward was a bachelor and Mary Ann a spinster. Both were of full age and both lived at Maidstone at the time of the wedding. Edward's father was said to be Samuel Hickmott, a labourer. Mary Ann's father was John Goldsmith who worked as a carpenter. The wedding was conducted by a Thomas Harrison and was witnessed by John Smith and Mary Ann Dickson. Both Mary Anns signed the register with a 'mark' or cross.

Born at Maidstone in 1824, Mary Ann Goldsmith was the eldest daughter of John and Rebecca Goldsmith. The UK censuses show that John was born in around 1783 and Rebecca in 1796 at Maidstone in Kent. The Mid-Kent Marriages Index 1754-1911 shows that a John Goldsmith and Rebecca Tuffee were married in the Thurnham Parish of the Hollingbourne district of Kent on 14 April 1817. It is possible this was our John and Rebecca although that has still to be confirmed. We do know that John and Rebecca had at least six children all born at Maidstone: Charles (1818-68), Richard (1820-1904), James (1822-95), Mary Ann (1823-1906), John (1827-88) and Sophia Goldsmith (1828-c1853). Sophia, or Sophie as she was known as, married Edward Hickmott's younger brother, Henry Hickmott, at Hackney in Middlesex in 1848 and emigrated with him and their two daughters to Australia the following year. Click here to read of their life and times in the antipodes. Mary Ann and Sophie's brother, John Goldsmith, and John's wife Esther Jones, are the great-great-great grandparents of Catherine ('Kate') Middleton, the wife of the Prince of Wales, Prince William and a possible future Queen of England (see William Reitwiesner and Michael Wood's website for Kate's complete lineage). John and Ester (sometimes reported as Hester) were married at the Church of St John the Baptist at Hoxton in London on 23 September 1850. They had as many as eleven children in London before Esther's death at Islington in London in 1885 (John died at Islington three years later). Their eldest son, John Goldsmith, married Jane Dorsett at Paddington in London in 1882 and had six children we are aware of including Kate Middleton's paternal grandfather Stephen Charles Goldsmith (1886-1938), who worked as a carman and builder's labourer.

emma hickmottAfter working for a time around Maidstone, Edward Hickmott left to work in India sometime between 1851 and 1861. His wife Mary Ann remained for much of this time in Kent in England, living initially at 'The Craylands' at Swanscombe and then at 'Hartridge House' on Church Road in Boxley. During this time she and Edward had six children we know of: Mary Ann, Harriet Sarah, Edward Richard, James Ernest, Emma Sophia and Henry Charles Hickmott. We know that some of these either visited their father in India or lived, worked and married there (see below). Both Hartridge House and Edward and Mary Ann's later dwelling in Llanishen in Wales served as a base for their growing number of Indian-born grandchildren.

In India Edward worked as a brickmaker and building contractor and owned the Acra brickworks in Calcutta. He returned to England sometime prior to the 1881 census which shows he and Mary Ann living at Grey Cottage on Camphilly Road in Llanishen in Glamorganshire in Wales. Edward was said to be a 60 year-old brick manufacturer employing seven men and three boys. Also present were the couple's daughter Emma Sophia Hickmott (23, unmarried and born at Kingsland in Middlesex), son Henry Charles Hickmott (19 year-old fitter and driver born at Newington in Middlesex) and two grandchildren: Harold P. Goddard (6, West Brompton Middlesex) and Evelyn E. C. Goddard (4, Calcutta in India). Only Edward, described as a 69 year-old brick manufacturer, and his daughter Emma Sophia were living there in 1891.

Ancestry's National Probate Index shows that Edward Hickmott, a brick manufacturer of Llanishen in Glamorganshire, died there on 27 September 1898 (probate from his will went to his unmarried daughter Emma Sophia). The UK National Burial Index shows he was buried at Llanishen on 1 October 1898 and that his wife Mary Ann Hickmott nee Goldsmith had pre-deceased him and was buried at Llanishen on 26 March 1891.

Edward and Mary Ann's daughter, Emma Sophia Hickmott (pictured above) continued to live at Grey Cottage after the death of her father until her own death there in 1931. With her at the time of the 1901 census were a 10 year-old nephew, George H. Hickmott who was born at Calcutta, a 19 year-old nephew and boot maker's apprentice Henry A. Goddard (also born in India), and two visitors: Olive Hurley from Glamorgan and Rhoda Evelyn Dickens from Guildford in Surrey. At the time of the 1911 census she had living with her her widowed brother Edward Richard Hickmott, a 61 year-old house repairer who was born at Erith in Kent.

Emma Sophia Hickmott (1858-1931) was the only member of the family not to marry. The Families in British India Society (FIBIS) website shows that her brother James Ernest Hickmott (1853-1903) married Emilie Lilian Mortimer in the Bengal district of India in 1885, and died at 'Rawal Pindee' in Bengal on 7 June 1903. One of James' descendants, Adrian Cowell, tells us that he 'discovered that James ... lived at 32 Marquis Street and had a brick factory called Wilder, Hickmott & Co in Calcutta. There is a newspaper reference to it being insolvent on 28th Feb 1886. They were described as builders, contractors and brick makers. That would have been four years before [Adrian's grandmother] Lilian's birth and would have led to a few hard years ... [which] would tally with [family] recollections of Emilie Lilian Mortimer (my mother called her grandma Hickmott) being a formidable lady who held things together'. Unfortunately we have yet to find any details of Emilie's birth or death although we do know, from the LDS' index of British in India 'Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947', that she and James had three children in India as follows:

1) Hartridge Edward Hickmott who was born at Calcutta on 17 November 1886. He worked as a clerk in the England Office and died and was buried at Rawalpindi in India on 26 November 1905. We don't think he married.

2) Reginald Ernest Joseph Hickmott (1888-1943) who was born at Calcutta on 27 December 1888 and christened at Dhurrumtollah in Bengal on 10 February 1889. Ancestry's 'British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-20' shows that a 2Lt R E J Hickmott of 'IARO' was awarded the British War Medal (which was issued in India) which indicates that he served, probably in an Indian Regiment, during the First World War. The LDS database shows he married Gertrude Evelyn Wilson at Kidderpore in the Bengal district on 2 May 1928. The same source tells us that Gertrude was born at Byculla in Bombay in India on 10 March 1906, the daughter of William Alexander and Florence May Wilson nee Yates (who were married at Byculla on 27 January 1904).

We don't know whether Reginald and Gertrude had any children. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission website tells us that Reginald served as an officer in the Indian Armoured Corps during the Second World War. He died on 28 January 1943 and was buried at the Kirkee War Cemetery near Poona in India. The record notes that Reginald was then 51 years old, the son of James Ernest and 'Emela' Lilian Hickmott, and the husband of Gertrude Evelyn Hickmott of Frome in Somerset. The Catherine House Index indicates that Gertrude re-married in 1946, to Herbert R. Watts at Frome in Somerset in England. Although still to be confirmed, we think she died in the Sodbury RD of Gloucestershire in 1967.

3) Lilian Edith Margaret Hickmott (1890-1973) who was born at Calcutta on 1 November 1890. Her grandson, Adrian Cowell, tells us that Lilian married twice, first to 'Frederick Alger, a tea planter in Assam', and second to 'George Copeman Hill, another tea planter in North Bengal near Darjeeling' (the LDS British in India marriage database shows Lilian and Frederick were wed at Calcutta on 3 June 1914. It has no record of her second marriage). Adrian continues that his mother,'Pamela Ellen Alger, was born in 1925. Frederick Alger died in 1929, and Lilian married George I think in 1930. George was actually my mother's father without my mother knowing the fact until way after George's death and only finding out shortly before Lilian died ... George and Lilian stayed in India throughout the war until George's retirement post-partition with the intention of going to South Africa but getting no further than Madras. My mother Pamela left them there, returning to England where after a number of jobs she joined MI6 as a secretary and was posted to Germany where she met my father, Gervase Cowell, also of MI6 who was in Berlin and then Bonn. My father is most publicly known for his role in the Penkovsky Affair during the Cuban Misslie Crisis when we were in Moscow. Both my parents died in 2000'. They had four children.

Lilian and George eventually relocated to England. The UK National Probate Calendar shows that George Copeman Hill, of 1 The Lindens Tilford Road Farnham in Surrey died on 13 December 1964 at 44 Hale Road Farnham. Probate went to Laurence Parr, legal executive. The Catherine House entry for George's death shows that he was born in around 1883 (we don't as yet know where). According to the Catherine House index, a Lilian Edith Hill, born in around 1892, died in the Surrey South Western RD of Surrey in 1973. Adrian also tells us that Frederick Alger had a son, Dermot Alger, from a previous marriage. While Dermot 'was in theory my mother's half-brother', he adds, 'she never met him. He was sent to boarding school in England, had some difficulties and was expelled. He was effectively disowned [by the family] and was sent to Australia in the early 20s I think to work on a farm in Victoria or NSW before at some point moving to Perth'.

st pauls cathedral calcuttaJames older sister, Harriet Sarah Hickmott (1848-1907), was also married in India, at Calcutta in West Bengal on 19 March 1870. Her husband was George Weavings Goddard (1843-1935) who was born at Donhead in Wiltshire in 1843, the son of William Goddard and Harriet Weavings who were married at St Thomas' Church in Salisbury in Wiltshire on 3 April 1842. According to The Times of India, George's marriage to Harriet Sarah took place at St Paul's Cathedral in Calcutta (pictured on the left in around 1875) and was conducted by the Reverend J. Stephenson MA. The report added that Harriet was the 'second daughter of Mr E. Hickmott of [the] Acra Brick Factory'. George and Harriet had eight children between 1871 and 1883 where all but two were born at Calcutta: Edward William Leonard (born in 1871), George Charles (1873), Harold Percy (1875, Fulham), Eveline Emma Campbell (1876), Kathleen Marion (1878), Frank Ernest (1879, Brixton Surrey), Henry Archibald (1882) and Harriet May Hickmott Goddard (1883).

The UK censuses indicate that while George was working in India, Harriet and her children spent a good deal of their time living in either Wales or London. The 1881 census has their two older boys, Edward William Leonard and George Charles Goddard, as boarders at a boys' school at Edmonten in London, while their sister Evelyn and another brother, Harold Goddard, were living with their grandparents at Llanishen. In 1891 Harriet and all her children were living at 'Alipore House'at 70 Trinity Road in Wandsworth in London. By this time the older boys were working, Edward jnr as a book-maker's assistant and George as a saddler's apprentice. At the time of the 1901 census, Evelyn, then 24, was the designated head of the Wandsworth household. With her were her sisters Kathleen and May, brother Frank, who was working as a coach builder, their grandmother Harriet Goddard, aunt Mary Goddard and an elderly visitor, Ann Sime, from Kennard in Scotland. The presence of servants and the fact that all of the females were said to be living on their own means, suggests the family was by then reasonably well off.

The local electoral rolls show that Harriet was joined by George in around 1893 and the couple lived at Alipore House until 1900 when they appear to have returned to India. They were back in London in 1907, the year we think Harriet died (in the Marylebone registration district). The 1911 census shows George (a 68 year-old widower and retired leather merchant) living at 78 Alexandra Road Muswell Hill in Wood Green in Middlesex with his two unmarried daughters - Eveline Emma Campbell Goddard and Kathleen Marion Goddard - his eight year-old grandson George Leonard Goddard who was born at Upper Tooting in London, and a 25 year-old Irish-born boarder, Elizabeth Mary Johnson. Ancestry's UK National Probate Calendar shows that George Weavings Goddard died at St Margaret's (Hospital?) on the Cotswald Road in Great Clacton in Essex, on 2 March 1935. Probate from his will was decided at London on 3 May and went to Charles Theodore Goddard, a company manager (we think that Charles may have been George's nephew).

Detailed below is what we have found out to date about George and Harriet's children. It is interesting how few of them married and had children. The other characteristic of the Goddards was their evident wanderlust. All the boys seemed to have travelled extensively overseas and most died outside England, a legacy, one suspects, of being neither British nor Indian.

1) Edward William Leonard Goddard (1871-96) who was born in Calcutta, was schooled and lived in England for a time before returning to India where he died and was buried at Calcutta on 16 April 1896;

2) George Charles Goddard (1873-1927) was also born at Calcutta in India. In 1881 he and his younger brother Edward were boarders at a school at Edmonton in London. By the time of the 1891 census he was living with his mother and siblings at Wandsworth in London and working as a saddler's apprentice. The Catherine House records show that George married Olive Christine Hurley (1875-1948) in the Cardiff registration district of Glamorgan in Wales in 1901 (the census for that year also shows Olive Hurley, aged 26 and born at Cardiff, as a visitor at Grey Cottage at Llanishen). She and George had two children in England: George Leonard, born in 1902 at Wandsworth, and Eileen Mary Goddard (1907, Newton Abbot, Devon). The Dictionary of Western Australians, 1889-1914) tells us that George sailed from England to Fremantle on the OVIETO in 1909 possibly to meet up with another brother, Henry Archibald Goddard, although that has still to be confirmed. Olive and their two children initially remained in England. The 1911 census shows Olive and Eileen living with Olive's brother, master butcher Henry Hurley, and his family in Cardiff. George jnr was with his then widowed grandfather, George Weavings Goddard, and his two daughters at Wood Green in Middlesex in England. Ancestry's 'Fremantle Passenger Lists, 1897-1963', show that Olive and the two children sailed from Liverpool to Fremantle on the S S BELGIC, arriving at Fremantle in November 1911.

George and Olive had a third child, Olive May Goddard, at Fremantle in 1915. The Dictionary of Western Australians, tells us George spent time at Broome where he worked as 'a shop assistant-manager for Robinson and Norman, pearlers', and, in 1923, 'became a group [60] settler at Metricup [near Margaret River in the] Busselton District'. The WA Group Settlement Scheme was initiated by the State Government and saw teams of up to 20 men sent into the bush to clear campsites and make rough dwellings for their families who would later join them. Up to 160 acres was provided free of charge to each settler who then worked as part of the group clearing and fencing land for a fixed wage. Thousands from both Britain and Australia applied to join the scheme. The isolation and rough living and working conditions saw many of the successful applicants eventually walk off their land. The scheme was a failure and was abandoned in 1930. We must wonder whether the hardships involved contributed to George's relatively early death at Busselton in 1927. His funeral was reported in Perth's daily newspaper as follows:

The funeral of the late Mr George Charles Goddard, of Group Settlement, Margaret River, via Busselton who passed away after a long illness, took place at the Anglican portion of the Karrakatta Cemetery on Thursday afternoon, November 10. A large number of relatives and friends attended to pay their last respects at the graveside, some of them, having travelled from Busselton, where the deceased was held in high esteem. Among those present were officers of the Group Settlement Scheme. Deceased leaves a widow and grown-up sons and daughters. A number of wreaths were sent from the following relatives and friends. From Theodore, his loving wife Olive, Mr and Mrs Staker (Busselton) , Lillis Joyce, Mrs Regan, sons and daughters: (Leonard and Eileen), Mrs C. Bousheld, Mrs Bird, Fred and Violet (children of Mr and Mrs Bird), Mr and. Mrs Taylor, Mrs Turner and Mrs Smith, Mr and Mrs Bates and family; David, Edith and little Mary. The chief mourners were the wife and sons and daughters of the deceased. The Rev Stillwell officiated at the graveside (Perth Daily News, 15 November 1927).

The Australian electoral rolls indicate that Olive and their children may have lived and worked in Perth when George first joined Group 60 but then moved to Busselton where Olive was matron of, and her daughter, Eileen, a telephonist at, the Lady Campion Hostel in 1931. By the time of the 1934 election, Olive was back in WA's capital where she died at South Perth on 19 December 1948. Her death notice, published in The West Australian on 22 December, tells us she died 'at her home 6 Hopetoun-street, South Perth' and was the 'widow of the late George Charles Goddard, loved and loving mother of Gladys and the late Leonard Goddard (Mt Barker), Eileen and Len Dunkley (Busselton) and May and Bob Gliddon (South Perth) and dear Nana of Denise and Lindsay Goddard and Charmian and David Gliddon'. According to the Perth Metropolitan Cemeteries Board website, Olive was buried with George in the Anglican section of the Karrakatta Cemetery (Section LA, grave 0505). As mentioned above, George and Olive had three children all of whom married.

leonard dankly 1) George Leonard Goddard (1902-45) was born in London and came to Australia when he was nine years old. He married Gladys Jean Sounness (1907-95) at Mount Barker in Western Australia in 1932. Leonard worked as a motor driver before enlisting in the Australian Army at Mount Barker in August 1940. He was discharged from the Army on 18 September 1944 at which time he was a sergeant in the 12 E P Coy. He died at Mount Barker the following year aged just 42 years, His death notice in The West Australian tells us he and Gladys had two children: Denise and Lindsay Goddard. Dawn New's 'Goddard family Tree' on Ancestry tells us that Gladys died at Mount Barker in December 1995.

2) Eileen Mary Goddard married Leonard ('Len') Dunkley (1893-1976) in Perth in 1939. According to the 'Goddard Family Tree' on Ancestry, Len was born in the Melbourne suburb of East Brighton, the son of Arthur Henry Dunkley (1871-1915) and Ellen Margaret Wedd (1872-1931) who were married in Perth in 1891. His military record in the Australian Archives shows that Len (pictured on the right) enlisted in the Australian Army at Perth in May 1915. He served as a signaller in the 11th Battalion at Gallipoli where he was wounded in action (a GSW to the right shoulder) on 6 November of the same year and spent time in hospital at Malta. He was again wounded in action (a GSW to the chest, arm and left thigh) in France in October 1917 and repatriated back to England where he was admitted first to the military hospital at Stratford-on-Avon and then the 3rd Australian Auxilliary Hospital at Dartford. After spending time at Weymouth and Sutton Veny he returned to Australia on the 'A 30' in April 1918. Len's father, who had worked as a policeman, had also enlisted in the 1st AIF and was killed in action at Gallipopi on 2 May 1915 while serving as a driver with the 16th Battalion. The Australian electoral rolls show that Eileen and Len lived all their married lives at Busselton, where Len worked as a postal assistant, until his death in 1976. Eileen was still living there at the time of the 1980 poll. We have not been able to trace her after that nor do we know whether she and Len had any children.

3) Olive May Goddard (1915-94) married Edgar Robert Howard ('Bob') Gliddon (1917-68) in Perth in 1941. Born at Cunderin in Western Australia, Bob enlisted in the Australian Army at Perth in March 1944 and was serving as a sergeant in 4 AUST BEACH SIG SECT when he was discharged in December the following year. His parents were a South Australian-born farmer, Oscar Leslie Howard Gliddon (1884-1962), and Beatrice Jean McKie (1890-1935) who were married in the Northam registration district of WA in 1914. The Australian electoral rolls show that after the war, Bob, who worked as a clerk, and Olive lived at South Perth and then Albany where Bob died in 1968. Olive continued to live at Albany until her death there in 1994. She and Bob had two children we are aware of: Charmian and David Charles Howard Gliddon who was working as shop assistant at Albany in 1972.

3) British Army WWI Pension records show that Harold Percy Goddard (1874-1920), who was born at Fulham in London, enlisted in the Royal Fusiliers on 3 September 1914. His enlistment papers state that he was then a civil engineer, had served in the Calcutta Naval Volunteers between 1895 and 1898 and, from 1898 to 1901, as an acting corporal in the Northern Regiment VR (indecipherable). His NOK was his father who was then living at 6 Wilstbury Road Woodside Park in North London. Harold seems to have served only in England before being discharged as 'no longer fit for war service' on 21 June 1916. The reason for his discharge was chronic dysentery which his medical board noted he had contracted before he enlisted: 'In 1895 whilst employed in the tropics (Assam India) [he] had malaria and dysentery. Enlisted in September 1914 and has been in and out of hospital constantly since'. In spite of this he was discharged as an acting corporal and his character was described as 'very good'. He was reasonably tall (5 feet 10 inches) and was a practising Catholic. His address on discharge was 'Alipur, Westbury Road, Woodside Park London North'.

Harold's miliary record also shows that he had married Armenia W. Reis at St Barnabas in Middlesex on 4 May 1915 (the wedding was witnessed by G. W. Goddard and E. E. C. Goddard). Although still to be confirmed, we think that Armenia Werneck Reis may have come to England from Brazil in the year she married Harold. Ancestry's UK Outward passenger Lists show that Harold, then a 42 year-old civil engineer and his wife Armenia (27) sailed to Penang in the Federated Malay Straits (now Malaysia) on the Kaisar-I-Hind which left London on 16 February 1917. The UK National Probate Calendar shows that Harold died at the Penang General Hospital on 28 February 1920. The Probate Calendar noted that Harold was then living at Kuala Lumpur and probate, decided in London on 24 March 1920, was paid to his father George Weavings Goddard, a retired Indian merchant. We don't know if Armenia was with Harold at the time of his death. Shipping records show she sailed from Sydney to England on the steamship MANTUA, arriving at London on 18 April 1920. The electoral rolls for St Marylebone in London show that she was living at 8 Mortimer Street in the Langham Ward in 1931. According to the Catherine House records, an Armenia Werneck Goddard, born on 1 July 1889, died in 1971 in the Brentwood registration district of Essex (the same registration district in which Harold's sister, Kathleen Marion Goddard, died in 1975).

4) Eveline Emma Campbell Goddard (1876-1942) who was born in Calcutta but lived much of her life in Wales and England. Ancestry's '1939 England and Wales Register' shows an Eveline E. C. Goddard, single and born on 29 December 1876, as the housekeeper at 76 London Road Maidstone in Kent. Also registered there was a Sarah Hurley, a widow and retired teacher who was born in 1858, plus her three daughters - Sarah (1886), Florence (1888) and Helen M[ary] Hurley (1890) - all of whom were said to be working as 'elementary school teachers'. According to Chris Hardy's 'Hardy1 Family Tree' on Ancestry, Sarah Hurley nee Sowerby was the wife of the older brother of Eveline's sister-in-law, Olive Christine Goddard nee Hurley (1875-1948), Frederick George Hurley (1857-1933), a schoolmaster who Sarah had married at Selhurst in Surrey in 1881. They had a son in addition to the three girls mentioned, Frederick William Hurley (1883-1952) who was also a school teacher and served as a Sapper in the Royal Engineers during World War 1. The UK National Probate Calendar shows that Eveline died a spinster at St Margaret's Hospital at Great Clacton in Essex on 3 January 1942. Her address at the time was 'Cherryhinton', 70 London Road Maidstone, and probate from her will was granted to a Sarah Hurley, spinster.

5) Kathleen Marion Goddard (1878-1975) who was born at Calcutta, lived in Wandsworth in London at the time of the 1891 and 1901 censuses and Wood Green in Middlesex in 1911. She, too, did not marry and died at Hutton Brentwood in Essex on 21 March 1975; and

6) Born at Brixton in London in 1879, Frank Ernest Goddard lived at Wandsworth from at least 1891 to 1910. We haven't been able to trace him with any certainty after that although Ancestry's UK outgoing passenger lists show that a F. E. Goddard, born in around 1880, travelled from Southampton to Cape Town in South Africa in 1904 and 1924 and from Southampton to Bombay in 1958.

7) The LDS database shows that a Henry Archibald Goddard, son of George 'Wendings' and Harriet Sarah Goddard, was born in Bengal in India on 26 December 1881 and baptised at Calcutta on 15 January 1882. At the time of the 1891 census, Henry, then aged 9 years, was living with his mother and siblings at Wandsworth in London. In 1901 he was living with his aunt Emma Sophia Hickmott in Cardif and working as a boot maker's apprentice. I haven't been able to find him in the 1911 census. Ancestry's UK outgoing passenger lists show that an H. A. Goddard, born around 1882, sailed from Liverpool to Montreal in Canada in 1903 and from London to Sydney in 1910. The List of wills contained in the Perth Sunday Times (27 July 1924) includes: 'Henry Archibald Goddard, late of Mundaring (died 25 June 1924) , to Victor William White of Narrogin'.

8) Harriet May Hickmott Goddard (1883-1937) who was born at Calcutta in 1883, lived in England for most of her life and died a spinster at Finchley in Middlesex on 21 March 1937 (probate from her will went to her sister Eveline). The 1911 census indicates that May, as she was called, was then living at Kings Lynn in Norfolk and working as a secondary school teacher. The London electoral rolls show that in the 1930s she lived at Finchley with the wonderfully named Unity Keats Eliza Nesfield (who died, aged 96 years, in the Crosby RD of Lancashire in 1969.)

Edward and Mary Ann's eldest son, Edward Richard Hickmott (1850-1923) married Elizabeth Margaret Dean (1856-bef 1911) at Woolwich in Kent in 1877. In 1881 they and their two children, Effie and Aubrey, were living at Plumstead in London where Edward was employed as an inspector of works at the Royal Albert Docks. The 1891 census shows Edward working as a traveller for a brick merchant and living at Battersea in London. The couple now had four children: Effie Hartridge, Aubrey Edward, Jessie Isabel and James Harry (who was working as a racing groom). In 1901 the family was at 1 Eddiscombe Road at Fulham in London. Edward was still a traveller for a brick merchant. Others present in addition to family members were: Edward's nephew and niece Frederick H. Dean and Connie M. M. Kay. Although still to be confirmed, we think that Elizabeth died sometime before the 1911 census which shows Edward as a widower and living with his sister Emma Sophia Hickmott at Llanishen in Glamorganshire where he was working as a house repairer. The Catherine House Index shows that an Edward R. Hickmott, born in around 1850, died in the Islington RD of Greater London in 1923. What of their children?

1) The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records that a Private Edward Aubrey Hickmott of the 2nd Battalion The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) died in Belgium on 14 April 1915. He was 35 years old and his name is inscribed on the Menin Gate at Ypres (Panel 12 and 14). We don't think he married. The same source shows that Edward Aubrey's younger brother, Phillip George Hickmott, who was then a 27 year-old Corporal in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, died on active service in Italy on 29 October 1918. He is buried in Italy in the Arquata Scrivia Communal Cemetery (pictured below). Philip had married his cousin Nora Jessie Setter at Camberwell in London on 4 July 1912. Nora was living at 3 Eswyn Rd Tooting in London at the time of Philip's death. We don't think she and Philip had any children.

2) A letter written to the Army Office by Edward Richard, listing all of his deceased son Aubrey's living relatives, did not include James Harry Hickmott, suggesting that he had died before then. The Catherine House index shows that a James H. Hickmott, born in around 1881, died in the Farnham RD of Surrey in 1918 (2a, 185).

3) Jessie Isabel Hickmott married Ernest John Freemantle, the son of John Freemantle snr and Kate Smith, in London on 6 December 1913 (John jnr was born at Brighton in around 1886). The wedding certificate obtained from Ancestry's London parishes database shows their marriage took place at St Dionis Church in Fulham, Jessie Isabel was a 25 year-old spinster and Ernest a 27 year-old bachelor and schoolmaster (his father was also a schoolmaster). Ernest and Jessie were both living at 5 Minosa Street in Fulham at the time of the wedding which was witnessed by Philip George and Jessie Nora Hickmott. It seems that the married couple eventually went to Wales to live for the UK National Probate Calendar shows that Jessie died at the Royal Infirmary in Cardiff on 9 March 1932. She was then living at 331 Caerphilly Road in Whitchurch in Cardiff. Her probate was assigned to her husband Ernest John Freemantle, clerk, and her sister Effie Jeffery (wife of Fred Jeffery).

4) The Catherine House records show that Effie Hartridge Hickmott married Fred Jeffery at Cardiff in 1928, and that Effie Jeffery, aged 80 years, died in the Cardiff registration district of Glamorgan in 1959 (we think Fred had died there three years earlier although this has to be confirmed). We don't know if they had any children.

arquata cemetery

Arquata Scrivia Communal Extension Cemetery in Itay
where Phillip G. Hickmott (1892-1918) is buried.

Edward and Mary Ann's eldest daughter, Mary Ann Hickmott (1843-96) married William John Wilder (1844-1903) at Stoke Newington in Middlesex on 2 July 1865. Their wedding certificate shows that William John, or John William as he was known, was an engineer by trade, the son of a cement maker Joseph Wilders (deceased). Both he and Mary Ann were living at Stoke Newington at the time of their wedding which was witnessed by Henry Wilson and Mary Ann's sister Harriet Sarah Hickmott. We think the Wilders had been neighbours of the Hickmotts when the latter were living at 'The Craylands' in Swanscombe in West Kent so Mary Ann and John would have long known each other. The couple had four children we are aware of: Edward Percy (born in 1866 at Swanscombe), Ada Mildred (1868, Swanscombe), Ethel Marion (1874, Calcutta) and Mary Elizabeth Beatts Wilder (1877, Calcutta).

edward and marjory willder Like her mother and sisters, Mary Ann spent most of her married life in England. The 1871 census shows her as head of a household at Swanscombe in Kent. With her was her daughter Ada Mildred (3 and born at Swanscombe). Her husband, 26 and described as a brickmaker, may have been a patient in the Kent Lunatic Asylum in Maidstone or he may have been in India. The 1881 census shows Mary Ann as the head of the household at 404 Wandsworth Road at Clapham in London. Also present were two of her children, Edward Percy (then 14 and working as a solictor's general clerk) and Ethel May Willder (7), as well as a visitor Louisa McKinnel, 40 and 'wife of a tradesman in India'. Sometime after 1881 Mary Ann and her family re-joined John William in India. As described above, John and his brother-in-law, James Ernest Hickmott, were then partners in a brick factory in Calcutta which was declared insolvent on 28th Feb 1886. Although still to be confirmed, we think Mary Ann may have died in London in 1896. One of his descendants, Eric Heyes, tells us that John William Willder, who later worked on the trains in Calcutta, died there after being run over by a tram. The LDS IGI shows that a William James Wilder, a builder of unknown marital status and born around 1843, died at Calcutta on 27 April 1903 and was buried there the following day.

What of Mary Ann and William John's children? The Catherine House records show that an Ada Mildred Willder, born around 1868, died in the Gravesend registration district of Kent in 1874. According to the LDS's listing of Indian bdms, their fourth child, Mary Elizabeth Beatts Wilder, died as an infant and was buried at Calcutta soon after her birth there on 30 June 1877. Their other two children survived the perils of Calcutta and lived into adulthood.

Eric Heyes tells us that John and Mary Ann's eldest child, Edward Percy Willder (1866-1943), married Marjorie Elsie Bushby (1889-1978) at Calcutta in 1915 (he adds that Marjory's parents were Thomas Bushby (1846-1927) and Elizabeth Brown (1845-1928) who were wed at Reigate in Surrey in 1869 and had eight children in addition to Marjory). Edward and Marjorie's marriage is confirmed by the listing of Indian bdms published by the LDS. This informs us that the wedding took place on 1 May 1915, Edward was 48 and Marjorie 25 at the time of the marriage, and Marjorie's father was Thomas 'Bushley'. As shown by the photo below, Marjorie attended school at Reigate. She and Edward, pictured on the left after they returned to England, had one child, Joyce Marion Willder, Eric's mother, who was born at Reigate in Surrey in 1920. The Bushby family, Eric continues, can be traced back to 1066. 'They were house builders whose descendants now live in Reigate' in Surrey.

Ancestry's UK incoming passenger lists show that the newlyweds returned to England the year after their marriage, sailing from Bombay on the SS KHYBER and arriving at London on 15 October 1916. The Catherine House index shows that Edward died in the Surrey Mid Eastern RD of Surrey in 1943, aged 77 years. According to the UK National Probate Calendar, he died on 13 September 1943 at the Epsom County Hospital in Epsom in Surrey. His normal address was 56 Francis Road Bournemouth and probate from his will was paid to the Westminter Bank Limited. Eric tells us that the widowed Marjorie later lived at Epson and Bexhill and died at Liverpool in 1978. He adds that their daughter, Joyce Marion Wilder (1920-2009), married John Harold Heyes (1918-88) at Liverpool on 1 January 1942. Born locally, John was the eldest son of Harold Heyes (1895-1965) and Minnie Oxton (1896-1961) who were married at the Holy Trinity Church in Walton Breck in Liverpool in 1917 and had three children all of whom were born at Liverpool. John died at Liverpool in 1988 and Joyce at Cranbrook in Kent in 2009. Like John's parents, they had three children.

reigate c1906

Marjorie Bushby (seated on the ground in the middle) at school at Reigate in c1906

joyce heyes in 1959 john harold heyes in around 1960

From Eric Heyes' 'Heyes Family Tree 2011' on Ancestry, these photos, taken in around 1960, are of his parents:
John Harold and Joyce Marion Heyes nee Willder.

The FIBIS and LDS databases show that Edward's sister Ethel Marion Wilders married Bertram Robert Crawford Lindsay in the Bengal district of India in 1891. Bertram was born at Calcutta in West Bengal in 1867, the son of Robert Amilius and Isabel Anne Lindsay (who were married at Calcutta on 15 October 1866). His siblings included: Wilfred Percival Crawfurd Lindsay (born at Calcutta on 23 December 1869 and married Ernistine Mary Lemondine Baxter there in 1891); Winifred Elizabeth Macinnes Lindsay (Calcutta, 8 September 1875); Clara Anne Crawfurd Lindsay (Calcutta, 14 November 1868); Kathleen Ruth Cranford Lindsay (Calcutta, 8 Dec 1871 married William James Wood at Jubbulpore in Bengal on 14 January 1890); and Etheline Alice Crauford Lindsay (Calcutta, 12 November 1878 married Henry Baliol Cheyne at Jubbulpore on 1 February 1909).

The 1911 census shows an Ethel Lindsay (35 and born in India) as a visitor at the Battersea residence of Marens Goddard (a 63 year-old minister of the Catholic Apostolic Church and born at Donhead in Wiltshire). Resident there at the time was her eleven year-old daughter, Nora Lindsay, and a Laura Pinnock Goddard who was born at Fulham in 1884. The census form states that Ethel had been married for 19 years and had four children, three of whom had died. The Catherine House records show that Ethel M. C. Lindsay, aged 85 years, died in the Surrey North Eastern registration district in 1961. Her husband, Bertram, had died in 1957.

The LDS IGI further shows that Bertram and Ethel had at least three children at Calcutta, two of whom - Dorothy Mary Crawford Lindsay (1892-1902) and Marjory Kathleen Lindsay (1895-6) - died young. Their third daughter Nora Ethelin Winifred Cranford Lindsay, who was born at Calcutta on 4 September 1899, married Raymond Cullis Goffin, the son of a Congregationalist Minister and missionary in India, Herbert James Goffin and his wife Sarah Ann Cullis, at Calcutta on 17 November 1917. We think that Raymond was also born at Calcutta although this has still to be confirmed. We do know that his brother, Herbert Cullis Goffin, was killed at Ypres on 4 June 1915 while serving as a sergeant in the 16th Battalion of the London Regiment (Queen's Westminster Rifles). Their parents were then living at Thanet Lodge on St John's Ave in Cleveden in Somerset. The UK National Probate Index shows that Raymond had a sister, Winifred Cullis Goffin, who died a spinster at Cleveden in Somersetshire in 1923.

We don't know if Raymond and Norah had any children although we do know they eventually returned to England where Raymond may have worked as an academic (in 1918 he edited a book entitled The Life and Poems of William Cartwright). The Catherine House Index shows that Nora Goffin nee Lindsay died at Reading in Berkshire in 1936. We think that Raymond married Jean Martin at Reading the following year. He died in the Henley registralian district of Oxfordshire in 1976.

Born at Swanscombe in Kent, Edward and Mary Ann's youngest son, Henry Charles William Hickmott (1862-1908) was twice married. His first wife was Sophie Annie Taylor (1867-92), daughter of Adolphus John Taylor, corn merchant, who he married after banns in the Church of St Mary the Virgin at Cardiff in Wales on 14 April 1886. Henry and Sophie had two children, both of whom were born at Cardiff in 1884: May Mary Hickmott and Edward Mitchell Hickmott. We think Edward died at Cardiff in 1889 although that has still to be confirmed. Some time after this Henry, Sophie and May travelled from Wales to India where, according to the LDS index of British deaths in India, May died at Karachi in August 1892. The same source informs us that some four weeks after her daughter's death, Sophie Hickmott nee Taylor died at Lahore in the province of Bengal. Henry was on his own and, perhaps because of this, went to live at Calcutta where other members of the Hickmott family lived and worked. On 9 February 1897, he married a 29 year-old spinster, Charlotte Callier, by licence at Calcutta's St John's Church. Born in the cathedral town of Lichfield in Staffordshire, Charlotte was the youngest daughter of a Shropshire coal miner, Isaiah Callier (1829-79), and Mary Charlotte Cooper nee Mitchinson who were married in 1861 and had three other children we are aware of. The UK censuses show Charlotte was living with her parents at Ogley Hay in Staffordshire in 1871, and at Wolverhampton, where she was working as a domestic servant, in 1881 and 1891, before travelling to India sometime before 1897. Charlotte is pictured with her granddaughter Joan Mary Brain (later Smart) in the photo below.

charlotte and her granddaughter joan The LDS records indicate Henry and Charlotte had three children at Calcutta: Nora Marjorie (born on 2 February 1898), Edward Arthur Lawrence (15 October 1899) and Alice Ivy Hickmott (30 March 1904). Nora's record of baptism tells Henry was working as an engineer and living at 'Kola' in India in 1898. The record for Alice has him working as a contractor for the East India Railways and living at Barakar in West Bengal. The UK outward bound shipping records show that, in January 1904, a Mrs C. Hickmott accompanied by two boys, sailed from Liverpool on the CITY Of MANCHESTER bound for Calcutta. The second boy may have been George Shepherd Hickmott who was born at Cardiff in January 1897 although that has still to be confirmed. The LDS index of Indian deaths informs us that a William Charles Henry 'Hicmott', a contractor who was born in around 1861, died and was buried at Berhampur in Bengal on 3 April 1908. We have yet to discover what happened to Charlotte.

What of their children? The Catherine House records show that Henry and Charlotte's eldest daughter, Nora Marjorie Hickmott, died in the Lichfield district of Staffordshire in 1903 probably while either living with or visiting her mother's family. Their eldest son, Edward Arthur Lawrence Hickmott, died at Darjeeling in 1919. According to the LDS index of British marriages in India, Henry and Charlotte's youngest daughter, Alice Ivy Hickmott (1904-76), married Ernest Robert Brain (1903-80), the son of William Thomas Brain, at Calcutta on 23 June 1928. Alice was then 24 years old and Ernest 25 and both were said to be single.

Bruce Bennett tells us that Robert's father, William Thomas Brain (1873-1943), was a career soldier who joined the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabaniers) in January 1891 at the age of 17 and left the Army as a Regimental Sergeant Major. When he was young, Bruce continues, William 'ran away with a Scottish girl, Mary McLeod, as her parents would not accept him'. They were married at Sutherland Church at Seaforth in Lancaster in 1896 and had nine children between 1897 and 1913: Mary Sylvia, Marion May, William Thomas, Ernest Robert, Winifred Sis, Frank Edward, Leonard, Christobel Ora and Neville Francis Brain. William's UK postings included Edinburgh, York, Seaforth, Liverpool, Aldershot, and Shorecliff. In 1899 he sailed to South Africa where he was involved in the relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Driefontein, and Bloemfontein. Invalided from Vaal River in 1900, he was posted to the regimental depot at Canterbury in Kent. The 1901 census shows a Sergeant William Brain, aged 25 and born at Chorley in Lancashire living in The Barracks in Canterbury along with his wife Mary (23 and born at Liverpool) and three children: Mary (4, Liverpool), May (2, Aldershot) and William Thomas Brain (1, Canterbury).

Two years later William and his family moved to India where William served as an instructor in the Mounted Rifles at Dehradun and Allahabad. He was promoted to Regimental Sergeant Major of the Calcutta Light Horse in 1912. During this time William and Mary also spent time in Germany, then Afghanistan, then at Quetta before returning to Calcutta where William was stationed at Royal Fort William. Between 1914 and 1917 his regiment served on the Western Front in France as part of the 1st India Cavalry Division. William was discharged from the Dragoon Guards at Lucknow in May 1918 - his residential address was then Dibrugah in Assam - and served for a time as Quartermaster of the Assam Valley Light Horse before becoming a Chelsea Pensioner on 21 March 1921. He was then 48 years old and in addition to his residence in Calcutta, had

. . . a property in Kemsiong, about four kilometers from the station, called 'The Lord's House'. This compound was on a hillside below the Himalayas and the large white two-story six-bedroom house with a red terra cotta roof was surrounded by three large terraces and a perimeter fence. The terraces were garden, vegetable and the lowest grew bamboo and sweetcorn. There were stables and kennels. Beyond the fence was jungle. Every Christmas the whole family came from far and wide to gather at the home. As many as fifty assembled and sat at a long trestle with grandfather at one end and the youngest on a high chair at the opposite end. Usually only those overseas in the UK did not come, and even they came when they could. The whole family left India in the post war period, leading up to Indian independence, most going to Australia or England. William died on 16 September 1943 in Calcutta aged 69 years and ten months, a retired Army pensioner, and Mary died in 1947 in Delhi.

Ernest Robert Brain was born in England on 1 December 1901 probably at Norwich although that has still to be confirmed. According to Bruce Bennett he went 'as a young child to board at college in London (as did his siblings) and then into the merchant Navy' where he trained and was employed as a mechanical engineer. He met Alice Ivy Hickmott in Wales while he was training in England. She subsequently joined him in Ireland where she worked as a nurse. In 1928 they moved to Calcutta to be with Ernest's parents and were married there on 23 June the same year. While in India Ernest worked first as a motor driving instructor and then as a mechanical engineer for the Ford motor company in Calcutta, Assam and Kurseong. During this time they had five children: Joan Mary (born in 1928), Sylvia Maria (1929), Maureen (1931), Rita Faye (1934) and Edward Robert Brain (1939). They remained in India until after the Second World War. With the onset of Indian independence they decided to return to England. Ancestry's UK and Ireland Incoming Passenger Lists show Ernest, then a 44 year-old engineer, and Alice Brain, a 43 year-old housewife, along with Sylvia (18), Maureen (14), Rita (12) and Edward Brain (8) - all of whom were said to be students - sailed from Bombay to Liverpool on the TSS EMPIRE BRENT, which arrived at Liverpool on 5 October 1948. Their intended address in England was 9 Sandford Street Cheltenham in Gloucestershire. The Catherine House records show that both Alice and Ernest died at Cheltenham, she in 1976 and he four years later. Bruce tells us they had travelled to Australia in 1973 to catch up with family there and attend the wedding of their granddaughter, Marguerite Brain, to Bruce's brother, Michael Bennett. Bruce adds that three of their children, Sylvia, Maureen and Rita Brain, were married at Cheltenham: Sylvia to Clayton Hickman in 1953, Maureen to David Kavanagh in 1965 and Rita to Edward Goodey in 1954.

alice ivy hickmott ernestrobertbrain

Sent to us by Bruce Bennett, these photos are of Ernest Robert and Alice Ivy Brain nee Hickmott during their time in India.

Alice and Ernest's eldest daughter, Joan Mary Brain, married Richard Boddington (Dick) Smart (1924-2001) at Calcutta on 1 May 1946. Born at Kyanske in Burma, Dick was the youngest son of Walter Maitland Boddington Smart (1886-1954) and Estrild Litton (1889-1971) who were married at Mandalay in Burma in 1911. Walter was the son of Robert Boddington Smart (1847-1921) and Emily Frances Buchanan (1863-1949) who were married at Rangoon in 1883 and had nine children in addition to Walter. According to the McIndoe and other family trees on Ancestry, Walter's family was long connected with India. His great grandfather, James Boddington Smart (1797-1853) went there as a soldier from Surrey in England in 1816 and married a widow, Charlotte McCan nee Peace, the daughter of another soldier serving in the East India Company, at Calcutta two years later. James, who served in the Company's Bengal Pilot Service, died at Calcutta in 1853.

Bruce Bennett tells us Walter worked as a land surveyor for Burma's Lands Records Department from 1907 to at least 1937. When the Japanese invaded Burma in 1942, he and Estrild, along with thousands of other Burmese citizens, walked from Burma into Assam and down into India. Estrild was carried on a deck chair supported on poles and took only her old dog Nanny and a sewing machine which had been a gift from her parents. They lived in India until 1949 when they sailed to Western Australia where Walter died at the Perth suburb of Subiaco in 1954. His gravestone in the Karrakatta cemetery tells us he was the: 'Beloved husband of Estrild. Loved father of Essie, Percy, Les and Dick. Passed away 4 December 1954 aged 68. Also our loved mother Estrild passed away 13 October 1971 aged 82 years'. Buried next to them at Karrakatta is their only daughter Essie who died on 18 October 1993 aged 81 years.

Dick Boddington Smart attended the Victoria Boys' School at Dow Hill in Kurseong in Darjeeling from 1934 to 1941. After undergoing officer training at Delhi he served as a subaltern in the 15th Punjab Regiment during the Second World War and saw active service in both Burma and Malaya. According to Joan, who related the story to Bruce Bennett,

. . . on one occasion on the Kohima Front at a place called Church Knoll enemy resistance was met outside Naga village when the final attack went in and tanks blasted many bunkers, but those who escaped laid down a hail of mortars and grenades to slow the infantry attack. Lieutenant Smart gave covering fire while his Major rescued another officer lying wounded within ten metres of an enemy-held bunker. His soldiers were Punjabis and Sikhs and they fought at Yarrakan. His capture for six weeks by Chinese bandits in Borneo was written up in Hansard. The Chinese had fought against Japan and had been supplied with weapons by Britain. When the war ended and the weapons were recalled they refused to give them up and began taking prisoners. The village elder of the group who captured Dick sent his son to parley, and Dick's commanding office immediately arrested the son, which facilitated an exchange of prisoners.

A few months before Joan's parents and siblings left India for England, she and Dick and their young family boarded the steam ship MANOORA which sailed from Bombay to Fremantle in Western Australia arriving there on 15 August 1947. The Australian electoral rolls show they initially lived in Perth, where Dick studied to be a teacher. In April 1952 he was appointed as a Lieutenant in the Royal Corps of Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and moved with his family to Victoria where they were registered as living at Pukapunyal in 1954 and in the Melbourne suburb of Glen Waverley in 1963. Some time after this Dick resigned his commission and returned to teaching. He died at Hamilton in Victoria's western district in 2001, his obituary, published in Melbourne's Herald Sun, reading: 'SMART - Richard Boddington (Dick), on Aug. 21 at Hamilton, aged 77 years. Dearly beloved husband for 55 years of Joan (Girl). Loved and loving father of Jenny, Margie, Richard and Bob. Loved father-in-law of Michael, Colett and John. Very much loved Grandpa of David, Cathy, Sharon, Rob, Andrew, Bradley, Paul, Michele, Kerri-Ann, Michael, Gregory and Brittany'. Joan Mary Smart nee Brain, who outlived all her younger siblings, died in Victoria on 21 December 2020. Her tribute, published in the Melbourne Herald Sun six days later, reads; '25/09/1928 - 21/12/2020 Smart (nee Brain) Joan Mary, beloved wife of Richard Boddington Smart (dec), loving mother to Jennifer (dec), Marguerite, Richard, and Robert, mother-in-law to Heather (dec), Michael and Gail. Grandmother to thirteen grandchildren and step-grandchildren, and Granny to eleven great grand and step grandchildren, with one more on the way. Rest in peace, your work is done'.

walter smart wedding walter smart

From Bruce Bennett's Wikitree, these photos are of Walter Maitland Boddington and Estrild Smart nee Litton
on their wedding day at Mandalay in 1911 and Walter with two of his servants in Burma before the War.

James Hickmott Henry Hickmott

Image sources:
'Calcutta trams', from Kolkata/Calcutta website.
'St Paul's Cathedral Calcutta', from the Old Indian Photos website.
Signaller Leonard Dunkley, 11 Infantry Battalion, from the Australian War Memorial database.
'Aquata cemetery' from Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.
Emma Hickmott, courtesy of Eric Heyes.
'Edward Percy and Marjorie Willder nee Bushby' and 'Marjorie Bushby at school in Reigate in around 1906', from the 'Heyes Family Tree' on Ancestry.