(last updated 28 October 2021)
Born at Bungeeluke North in Victoria, Richard Colmer (Dick) Smith (1881-1976) attended the Lalbert State School (no 2990) with his siblings and Hickmott cousins many of whom, as the photo below shows, also played cricket and football for the local teams. The 1909 electoral roll shows Dick working as a farmer and living with his parents at Lalbert. In the same year he married Hilda Alice Fidge (1889-1971) probably at Lalbert although that has still to be confirmed (their wedding photo is shown on the left). Her granddaughter, Rhonda Palmer, tells us Hilda was born at Dowlingville in South Australia on 19 September 1889, the sixth child of Edward Fidge (1854-1929) and Tryphena Pridham (1861-1943) who were married at Chrystal Brook in the mid-north of South Australia in 1878. Hilda's grandfather, George Fidge (1829-1917), who was born at Bearsted near Maidstone in Kent, sailed with his parents and four siblings from London to South Australia on THE DUCHESS OF NORTHUMBERLAND which arrived with its 251 passengers at 'Port Misery' in Adelaide on 19 November 1839. The family moved to the Willunga region where George married a Cornish woman, Jane Hancock (1830-1913), on 6 August 1849. He and Jane had eleven children between 1850 and 1875 and both died at Barabba north of Gawler. Hilda's mother, Tryphena Pridham (1861-1943), was born at Aldinga near Willunga, one of eleven children of a Devonshire couple, Jasper Pridham (1819-1904) and Mary Pennington (1827-90), who were married at Woolsfardisworthy in Devon in 1845. Together with their first child, Lucy Pridham (later Norris), Jasper and Mary sailed from England to South Australia on the PAKENHAM which departed from the port of Liverpool on 16 December 1848.
The birth places of their children show Edward and Tryphena Fidge moved from Crystal Brook to the Ardrossan/Dowlingville/Maitland area on the east coast of the York Peninsular. In 1891 the family left South Australia for Victoria where they settled on farming land at Meatian located between Lalbert and Swan Hill. They sold up in 1910 and, after living for a year at Bendigo, went to Condobolin in central NSW. There Edward purchased several farming blocks on the old Potters Mine property north of the town and, as his obituary tells us, became 'one of the most successful farmers in this district' (Lachlander and Condobolin and Western Districts Recorder , 9 October 1929). Tryphena died at Condoblin in 1943 and was buried with Edward in the Methodist section of the local cemetery. Her obitury, published in the same newspaper on 9 December 1943, tells us her 'surviving family' then comprised: 'Elsie (Mrs Denton), of Bendigo; Minnie (Mrs Nioa), Melbourne; Ada (Mrs Shepherd), Condobolin; Hilda (Mrs Smith), Melbourne; Linda (Mrs Duffy), Condobolin; Winnie (Mrs Tyler), Melbourne; Ivy (Mrs Moller), Melbourne; Ethel (Mrs Worthington), Condobolin; Gladys, Condoblin; Albert, Narembeen, WA and Wilfred, Condobolin. A living sister is Mrs Petersen, Perth, WA, and one living brother is John Pridham, of Crystal Brook, SA'. See Rhonda Palmer's 'Palmer Family Tree' on Ancestry for more details (and photographs) of Edward and Tryphena's family and descendants.
The Australian electoral rolls show that after their marriage, Richard Colmer, who was a butcher by trade, and Hilda Alice Smith lived in Melbourne initially at Dandenong, then nearby Clayton where, according to a report in The Dandenong Journal on 28 August 1946, he and his sons, Alan Richard Colmer Smith of East Oakleigh and Douglas Albert Smith of Clayton, formed a family butchery entitled the New Clayton Company. Richard's son-in-law, Ron Moss, tells us, a couple of run-ins with the Victorian bureaucracy notwithstanding, 'Pioneer Butchers' as the company became known as, was 'a large, prominent, popular, successful and high quality business'. As well as serving local shoppers, Ron adds, it supplied a number of large institutions, such as nursing homes and hospitals, and employed numerous staff including four members of Dick's extended family. After Dick retired in the early 1950s, the business was run by his and Hilda's eldest son, Alan, until his retirement in the late 1960s when the business was sold. The electoral rolls show that after Dick's retirement he and Hilda lived at 6 Hatter St in Oakleigh. Ancestry's index of Australian bdms shows Hilda Alice Smith, aged 82 years, the daughter of Edward Fidge and Tryphena Pridham, died at Kew in Melbourne in 1971, Dick died at Box Hill five years later. They are both buried in the Burwood Cemetery (Lawn 18A, Grave 9). Dick and Hilda had seven children - Doris Lilian, Gladys Irene, Alan Richard Colmer, Heather Pearl, Douglas Albert, Shirley Victoria and Maureen Linda Smith - all of whom grew into adulthood, were married and altogether provided their beloved parents with 16 grandchildren and at least eight great grandchildren we know of.
Richard Colmer (Dick) Smith and two of his brothers together with his uncle and two Hickmott cousins in the Lalbert Cricket Team in 1900.
As numbered: 1. Joe Nalder, 2. Dick Smith, 3. Local Minister, 4. Local School Teacher, 5. Henry Edward Hickmott, 6. Mat Nalder,
7. Donald Kennedy, 8. Al Smith, 9. Billy Nalder, 10. George Nalder, 11. Charlie Smith, 12. Phil Willoughby,
13. George Hickmott, 14. Tom Power and 15. Billy Hickmott.
This photo is taken from Lisa Sukra's 'Smith Family Tree - Cornwall to Australia' located on Ancestry.com.
It was taken at the time of the wedding of Richard Colmer Smith to Hilda Alice Fidge in 1909 and shows, from L/R:
Mary Lilian Isobel Smith, John Albert Smith, Richard Colmer Smith and Hilda Alice Smith nee Fidge
Supplied by Ron Moss, this shows members of the Smith family working in the Smith Pioneer Butchery at Clayton. From L/R:
Douglas Albert Smith, James Adrian McCarthy (husband of Doris Lilian Smith), Richard Colmer Smith,
Alan Richard Colmer Smith and Shirley Victoria Smith (later Armstrong).
1) Born at Lalbert in northern Victoria, Doris Lilian (Dorrie) Smith (1911-2000) married James Adrian McCarthy (1909-2001) in 1933. Born at Geelong, James' forebears had emigrated there from Mitchelstown in County Cork in Ireland and settled on land near the town of Fyansford. Located at the junction of the Barwon and Moorabool rivers to the west of Geelong, Fyan's Ford, as it was initially called, was named after the English Army officer and former commandant of the convict settlement on Norfolk Island, Captain Foster Fyans, who was posted to Geelong as a Police magistrate in October 1837. James' grandfather, John McCarthy (1823-84) married another native of Mitchelstown, Catherine Casey (1929-68), at Geelong in 1855, two years after she had arrived there from Ireland. John and Catherine had six children between 1856 and 1865 including James' father, William Vincent McCarthy (1860-1912) who, in 1891, married Jessie Rae Atkins (1870-1911). Jessie's father, George Atkins (1819-89) had been transported to Australia and was living and working at Winchelsea at the time of Jessie's birth. After their marriage in 1891, Jessie joined William on his dairy farm, 'Barwondale', at Fyansford where they had four sons and then a daughter, Jessie Mary McCarthy, who died at childbirth in 1911. Jessie Rae died the same year as her only daughter and William Vincent McCarthy the year after. Barwondale's stock of farm animals - then comprising five geldings and mares, 40 dairy cattle and 70 pairs of poultry - as well as a buggy, farm waggon and various farming implements and dairy utensils were auctioned off and the proceedings put in trust for James and his three surviving siblings: 1) William Gerald (Bill) McCathy (1903-84) who graduated from the University of Melbourne with a BA in 1937 and subsequently worked as a secondary school teacher. He married Catherine Grace 'Kathleen' Duggan (1903-86) in 1941 and died at Moorabbin in Melbourne in 1984; 2) Eugene McCarthy (1904-95) who married Mary Esther Corboy (1907-89) and had at least three children; and 3) Cyril John James McCarthy (born at Geelong in 1906).
From Andrew Mitchell's 'Mitchells and Kirmonds' family tree on Ancestry, the photo on the top is of
Jessie Rae Atkins and William Vincent McCarthy on their wedding day in 1894. Underneath is shown two of their sons:
William Gerald and James Adrian McCarthy.
The Australian electoral rolls show Doris Lilian and James Adrian McCarthy, a boot repairer and later a butcher, lived at the Melbourne suburb of Clayton until the mid to late 1950s when they moved to Tynong in Gippsland (the 1963 and 1968 rolls show a Bruce David McCarthy, clerk, living with them there). Sometime between then and 1972 they moved back to Melbourne where they lived at Glen Waverley (James' occupation was described as 'g. duties'). Rhonda Palmer tells us Dorris and James both died at Rushworth in northern Victoria, she on 22 January 2000 and he the following year. James' tribute, posted in the Melbourne Herald Sun on 3 March 2001 reads: 'McCARTHY - James Adrian, on March 1 2001, suddenly at Rushworth, aged 91 years. Loving husband of the late Doris Lilian. Dearly loved father of Pam, Bruce, Alison and Eleanor, loved father-in-law of Kevin, Margaret, Bruce and John. Loving Grandpa to all his grandchildren. Ancestry's Australian and New Zealand Find-a-Grave website shows James and Doris are buried together in the Burwood cemetery in Melbourne (Lawn 18A, Grave 9).
From Rhonda Palmer's 'Palmer Family Tree' on Ancestry, this photo is of Doris Lilian McCarthy nee Smith (on the right)
with her parents Hilda and Richard Colmer Smith. Rhonda tells us it was taken in 1963 at the wedding of
Lilian's son, Bruce McCarthy.
2) At the time of the 1937 election, Gladys Irene Smith (1913-84) was living with her parents and siblings on Clayton Road in the Melbourne suburb of Clayton and working as an enamel sprayer. The following year she married a work colleague, Noel Nathanial Bloomfield (1916-2003), most likely at Clayton although that has not been confirmed. Born at Tumbarumba in the Alpine region of NSW, Noel was the only son of a labourer, William Frederick Bloomfield (1885-1963), and his first wife, Mary Madeline Zelma Griffiths (1897-1972), who were married at Tumbarumba in 1914 and divorced at Albury in 1926. Noel had two sisters: Freda Zelma Bloomfield (1914-94) and Ann Enid Bloomfield later Hamilton (1920-68). The Australian electoral rolls show Gladys and Noel, who worked as an enameler and spray painter, lived first at Caulfield West and then Clayton where Gladys died on 8 January 1984. The Melbourne Metropolitan cemeteries board website shows she was interred in the Burwood Cemetery (Methodist 2, Section C, Grave 211 - the grave of her paternal grandparents Rebecca and Joseph Colmer Smith). The Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries trust website shows a Noel Bloomfield was cremated at the Springvale Botanical Cemetery on 6 March 2003. We don't know if he and Gladys had any children.
3) Alan Richard Colmer Smith (1916-2017). Born at Oakleigh, Alan worked with his father and younger brother in their butchery business at nearby Clayton. He married Elaine Gloria Ivy Follett (1924-69), daughter of John Richard and Ivy Follett nee Walker, on 7 June 1941, the same year Alan joined Australia's citizen military forces. The wedding was held in the All Saints Anglican Church at Clayton where, a subsequent report in The Dandenong Journal informed its readers, the bride was 'attended by two bridesmaids, Miss Eva Shimmen and Miss Shirley Smith. Miss Merle Stone, niece of the bridegroom, was flower-girl. Mr Edwin Gillespie was best man and Mr John Follett groomsman. One hundred and twenty guests attended the reception and breakfast, which was held afterwards at the Astoria Hotel, Oakleigh. The customary toasts were enthusiastically honoured and . . . Mr and Mrs Smith were the recipients of some very beautiful presents' (18 June 1941). The following notice, published in the Melbourne Age on 13 October 1943, suggests Alan was posted to New Guinea the following year: 'FOLLETT - In sad but loving memory of my dear mother-in-law. Ivy Follett, who passed to a higher life on October 13 1942. Gone, but not forgotten - Inserted by her son-ln-law. Driver Alan Smith, New Guinea'. Alan's mother-in-law was born at Liverpool in England, the daughter of Jonathon Walker and Sarah Ann Bolton who were married at Walton-On-The-Hill in Lancashire in 1895. Her maternal grandfather, Richard Bolton, was a marine engineer. Ancestry's UK and Ireland Outward Passenger Lists show a Miss Ivy Walker, aged 16, sailed with her parents and younger brother, John Cyril Walker, from London on 4 September 1913 on the MILTIADES bound for Melbourne in Victoria.
His military record in the Australian Archives shows that Elaine's father, John Richard (Jack) Follett (1893-1967), enlisted in the Australian Army at Melbourne on 12 July 1915. Born at Captain's Flat in NSW, the then 22 year-old was working as a machine shaver at Kennon's tanneries in the inner Melbourne suburb of Richmond and living with his mother and step-father, Thomas Charles Hill, at 66 Cremorne Street in South Richmond. Allocated to the 5th Reinforcements for the 23rd Battalion, Jack sailed from Melbourne on the HMAT OSTERLEY on 29 September 1915. After service in Egypt, he joined his battalion in France on 11 January 1916 and was wounded in action (a GSW to the right hip) at Pozieres on 28 July the same year. After undergoing treatment at the Reading War Hospital in England he rejoined his battalion on 12 January 1917 and participated in battles around Bullecourt in France and Ypres in Belgium. On 25 May 1918 he was posted as an orderly to HQ 2 Division where he saw out the war. Throughout this time Jack wrote 'cheery letters' to his mother and step-father at Richmond. According to an article in the Richmond Guardian on 10 August 1918, in one of these he said he had 'lately received two copies of the 'Guardian', to my great pleasure. I followed Richmond football team every year, and like to read of the old sports in my home town since'. In another article, published in the same newspaper a month later, he was said to have informed his parents that since his return to France he had served as 'a cook in the sergeants mess'. The article added 'he sent home a menu of the dishes he has prepared and there have been many smiles over it in the South Richmond home. "He never cooked anything before he went away", said his mother, "but this big menu - my!'.
Jack returned to Australia on 4 September 1919 and married Ivy Walker there the following year. The Australian electoral rolls show they lived with Ivy's parents at 125 Carpenter Street in the Melbourne bayside suburb of Brighton until 1925 when they moved to Drouin in Victoria's west Gippsland region in order to farm land there. By the time of the 1931 election, they were back in Melbourne and Jack was working as a labourer. He and Ivy lived first at Brighton, then Elsternwick and then Oakleigh where Ivy died in 1942 and was buried in the Brighton General cemetery. After Ivy's death Jack lived with his daughter, Elaine, and her husband Alan Richard Colmer Smith, until his retirement when he moved to Dandenong. He died at Dandenong in 1967 and was cremated at the Springvale Botanical Cemetery. Jack and Ivy Follett had two children we know of in addition to Elaine: Richard Blinksell Follett and another girl (the 'Walker Family Tree' on Ancestry tells us they had a further son, John Walker Follett (1926-2003), although we have not as yet confirmed this). The electoral rolls show Richard Blinksell and his wife Eve Lorraine Follett nee Arnold were running a dairy farm at Katamatite in the Numurkah district of Victoria during the late 1970s. The 'Find-a-Grave' website tells us Richard Blinksell (5 April 1928 - 28 October 1987) and Eve Lorraine Follett (28 Nov 1929 - 21 October 2018) are buried together in the Numurkah Cemetery. The inscription on their gravestone reads: 'Loved and loving parents of Cheryl, Gary, Raymond, Julianne, Rosemary and Christopher'. It further shows Christopher Follett (1963-83), who died as a result of an accident, is also buried at Numurkah where his inscription indicates his brother Raymond was then deceased.
The 'Follett (Australia)' and a number of other family trees on Ancestry, tell us Jack Follet's parents were James Follett (1861-1944) and Julia Letitia Blinksell later Hill (1867-1941) who were married at Queanbeyan in NSW - Julia's place of birth - in 1884. They had five children in addition to Jack: Albert Edward (1884-1938), Sarah Jane (1885-9), Ada Letitia (1887-9), Ellen Maria Stephenson (1889-1975), James Stewart Hill (1891-1947), Beatrice Ann (1895-5) and Cecil Sidney Follett/Hill (1896-1901). His military record in the Australian Archives shows James Stewart Follett/Hill, also served in the First AIF initially as a private soldier in the Divisional Cycle Corps and then as a driver with the Australian Field Artillery. James returned to Australia in April 1919 and married Beatrice Edna Mills (1903-2003) at Richmond on 3 June 1926 (his brother Jack Follett was a witness to their wedding). James and Beatrice farmed land at Bethanga near Lake Hume in northern Victoria where James died from injuries sustained after falling from his horse and, with his foot caught in the stirrups, being dragged across rough country. James Follett snr and his wife Julia separated in around 1900. As we have seen, Julia, together with their three surviving children, went to Melbourne to live (Julia died at Oakleigh in 1941). James spent the rest of his life in and around Queanbeyan where his parents, William and Maria Follett nee Tucker had settled after sailing from England to Sydney on the ZEMINDER in 1857. Born at Witcombe in Somerset in around 1832, Maria died at Carwoola, a small village between Queanbeyan and Captain's Flat, in 1882. William, who was born at South Petherton in Somerset, died at Moss Vale in the Southern Highlands of NSW in 1902. They are both buried in the St John's Anglican Church graveyard at Carwoola. One of their many descendants is Rosemary Follett who, as the ACT's inaugural chief minister, was the first woman to lead an Australian state or territory government. Rosemary presided over three ministries and remained in the Legislative Assembly as the member for Molongolo until 1996 when she resigned to become Deputy Vice-chancellor at the University of Canberra (of which she is an alumni). William and Maria's son James Follett died at Queanbeyan in 1944 and is also buried at Carwoola. Three years before his death, James married Ada Mortlock (1880-1970) with whom he had had nine children between 1902 and 1930.
The electoral rolls show Alan Richard Colmer, butcher, and Elaine Gloria Smith nee Follett lived at 25 Eastgate Street in Oakleigh from the end of the Second World War until Elaine's unexpected death in 1969. Her death notice, published in the Age newspaper on 29 May 1969 reads: 'SMITH - On 28th May (suddenly), at the Alfred Hospital. Elaine Gloria Ivy. Beloved wife of Alan and loving mother of Alan (Joe)'. Elaine was cremated at the Springvale Botanical Cemetery on 30 May 1969. The 1972 election roll has Alan still living at 25 Eastgate Street in Oakleigh along with his and Elaine's son, Alan Richard John Smith, who was then working as an electrician. By the time of the 1977 election both Alans had moved to 14 Gold Links Crescent in the nearby suburb of Dingley. By 1980 Alan snr had returned to Oakleigh while Alan jnr was living at Seaford on the shores of Port Phillip Bay. Rhonda Palmer believes Alan Smith junior died of a heart attack not long after this. His father reached the grand age of 100 years. The Ryerson Index shows Alan Richard Colmer Smith died on 17 March 2017. His death notice published in the Herald Sun on 21 March 2017 reads: 'SMITH - Alan Richard Colmer. 11.4.1916 - 17.3.2017 Loved husband of Elaine, father of Alan. Long time friend and companion of Evelyn Goding (all dec)'. Evelyn Goding nee Norris had died on 10 November 2004. She and her first husband, John, had three children, six grandchldren and, at the time of her death, six great grandchildren. Alan and Evelyn are pictured on the left.
4) Born in the Melbourne suburb of Oakleigh, Heather Pearl Smith (1919-1994) married Stanley James Stone (1918-61) at Dandenong in 1938. She lived with Stan and his parents - Clifford Stanley Stone (1893-1965) and Ivy Ellen Mills (1898-1982) - on Brighton Road in Keysborough where Stan and Clifford worked as market gardeners. By the time of the 1949 election Heather had moved to Port Fairy, a coastal town in south-western Victoria, where she was living with a hotelier, Albert Henry Walker (1914-97), who she would marry after divorcing Stan in 1951. Stanley James Stone continued to live with his parents at Keysborough where he died on 22 July 1961. His sister Olive Jean Shields (1919-2016) placed the following notices in the Melbourne Age two days later: 'STONE - on July 22 (suddenly), Stanley James, dearly loved father of Merle (Mrs H. Mitchell), fond father-in-law of Howard, and loving son of Nell and Jack' and 'STONE, Stanley James - dearly loved brother of Olive (Mrs Shields), fond brother-in-law of Ted, loving uncle of June, Geoff and Roderick, loved great-uncle of Joanne, Paul and Dean'. Stan was cremated at the Springvale Botanical Cemetery the next day.
From Andrew Mitchell's 'Mitchells and Kirmonds' family tree on Ancestry, the photo on the left is of Stanley James Stone and Heather Pearl Smith.
The one on the right, taken from Rhonda Palmer's 'Palmer Family Tree' on Ancestry, is of Heather Pearl Walker.
The 1954 electoral roll shows Albert Henry and Heather Pearl Walker, both hotel keepers, living at Cavendish near Hamilton in Victoria's western district. After this they ran newsagencies, at Pyramid Hill in 1963 and Wonthaggi in south Gippsland from 1967 until at least 1980. Living with them at Wonthaggi in 1972 was a Rodney Albert Walker, who was then serving in the RAAF. The 1977 and 1980 rolls show Rodney and Anne Christine Walker, a newsagent and an assistant, living at 17 Korumburra Road in Wonthaggi. According to Andrew Mitchell's 'Mitchells and Kirmonds' family tree on Ancestry, Albert Henry Walker (1915-97) was the second son of George Lyons Leslie Walker (1876-1969) and a South Australian, Stella Josephine Kanake (1882-1948), who he married at the inner Melbourne suburb of Carlton in 1902. Albert's grandfather, Thomas Bowes Walker (1848-1927), was a Scot who married, in Victoria in 1874, Emily Allender (1852-1927), a native of Clarence Plains in Tasmania. Andrew adds that Heather and Albert both died at Wonthaggi, she on 20 December 1994 and he on 1 April 1997, and had three children: Rodney Albert Walker, mentioned above, and two girls.
As we have seen, Heather also had a daughter with her first husband Stanley James Stone. We believe this is Merle Olive Stone who was born at Dandenong and, in 1958, married Howard John Mitchell who was working as a university lecturer at the time of the 1972, 1977 and 1980 elections (a Howard John Mitchell graduated from the University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Commerce in 1971). His son Andrew tells us Howard was the eldest of five children of John (Jack) Mitchell (1906-88) and Merle Mary (Jean) Kuhne (1916-76) who were married at Glenthompson in western Victoria in 1936. Andrew adds that Jack enlisted in the Australian Army at Caulfield on 24 April 1940 and served with the 2/32nd Infantry Battalion in Palestine, Libya and North Africa where he was wounded in action on 12 July 1941 during the German siege of Tobruk. The Australian electoral rolls show that after the war, Jack and Jean continued to live at Glenthompson, where Jack worked as a labourer. Following Jean's death there in 1976 Jack moved to Melbourne where he died in 1988. He is buried with Jean in the Glenthompson cemetery. Also buried there are Jack's parents - David Mitchell (1860-1916) and Lillie Maria Chamberlain (1871-1963) who were married at Glenthompson in 1891 - and his grandparents: David Howe Mitchell (1815-91) and Janet (Jessie) Dalgleish (1838-1918) both of whom hailed from Scotland, David from Perthshire and Jessie from Selkirkshire. They were married near Ararat in Victoria in 1858 and selected land at Glenthompson in the early 1870s. Following David Howe's death in 1891, the gazing property was run by his son David until his death in 1916, when it was taken over by David and Lillie's eldest son, Elliot David Osmond Mitchell (1896-1966), who had served in France with the 29th Battalion during the First World War.
5) Born at Clayton, Douglas Albert Smith (1922-74) enlisted in the 2nd AIF at Oakleigh on 23 September 1943. He was discharged from the Army on 9 November 1945 at which time he was serving as a signalman in the 20th Australian Line Section. A court hearing in 1948 into the family selling meat at prices higher than officially fixed rates, revealed Doug was suffering from malaria which suggests he, like his older brother Alan, may have served in the islands during the war. Along with his father and older brother, Doug was a founding director of the New Clayton Company (later Pioneer Butchers) where he worked after the war. According to the Victorian index of bdms Doug married Margaret Jean Paton/Patton in Victoria in 1953. The 1963 electoral roll shows Doug and Margaret, both said to be shopkeepers, living at 190 Warrigul Road at Oakleigh. The 1967 and 1972 rolls have them at 31 Dunstan Street in Clayton West (Doug was described as a proprietor while Margaret was on 'home duties'). Douglas Albert Smith died at Clayton on 17 September 1974 and was cremated at the Springvale Botanical Cemetery two days later. Andrew Mitchell's 'Mitchells and Kirmonds' family tree on Ancestry, tells us Doug and Margaret had three children: Wayne Douglas Smith (1954-78), a subcontract carpenter who died at Noble Park in Victoria, and two others still living.
6) Born in 1924, Shirley Victoria Smith (pictured on the left) was living with her parents and working as a cashire in the family business when she married Edward (Ted) Armstrong (1917-2004) in Melbourne in 1948. Born at Murrumbeena Ted was the fourth son of two Glaswegians, Edward William Armstrong (1883-1964) and Catherine Henderson (1884-1952) who were married in Melbourne in 1912. Edward snr emigrated to Australia around the turn of the century and worked all his life for Melbourne's Tramways Trust (later Tramways Board). He and Catherine lived on Hewitt's Road in Murrumbeena until the early 1950s when they moved to McRae, a bayside suburb near Rosebud. The Ryerson index shows Catherine Armstrong, 'late of McCrae' died in Melbourne on 8 February 1956. The Victorian index of bdms tells us she was 72 years old and was born at Glasgow, the daughter of Peter Henderson and Jean Pyatt (reg no 1873). A tribute to her, published in the 10 February 1956 edition of the Melbourne Age, reads: 'ARMSTRONG - On February 8, at Melbourne, Catherine, beloved wife of Edward Armstrong of 94 The Avenue McCrae; loved mother of Bill (deceased), Jack, Joe, Ted, Jean, Alex and Jim, loved mother-in-law of Alice, Shirley and Betty, loved grandmother of Billy, Laurence, Ian, Elizabeth, John, Catherine and Kathleen'. A separate notice indicates she was buried in the New Cheltenham Cemetery at Sandringham. Edward continued to live at McCrae until his death at Rosebud in 1964. His death notice published in the Melbourne Age on 22 June 1964 reads: 'ARMSTRONG - On June 20 at Rosebud, Edward William, beloved husband of the late Catherine Armstrong, dearly loved father of Bill (POW deceased), Jack, Joe, Ted, Jean (Mrs Twort), Alec and James. Father-in-law of Alice, Shirley, Arthur, Betty and Joyce. Dear grandfather of Kathleen (Mrs T. Devlin), Bill, Lawrence, Ian, Jennifer, Janice, John, Elizabeth, Heather, Gail, Barbara and Allwin. Dear great grandfather of Tom, Michael, Robert and Edward'. He is buried with Catherine in the New Cheltenham Cemetery.
As their respective death notices indicate, Catherine and Edward Armstrong had six children in addition to Ted. The Department of Veterans Affairs WW2 nominal rolls show three of their sons served in the Australian Army during the Second World War. Their eldest son, VX60579 Pte William Edward Armstrong (1913-43), enlisted at the Melbourne Town Hall on 29 July 1941, four years after he had married Alice Elizabeth Howson. Allocated to the 2/2 Pioneer Battalion he served in Syria and then Java in the Netherlands East Indies where he became a prisoner of war and was forced to work on the infamous Burma-Thailand railway. William died in Thailand on 29 July 1943 and is memorialised at the Khanchanaburi War Cemetery there. According to the 'Armstrong Family Tree' on Ancestry, he and Alice, who later re-married and died at Healesville in Victoria in 1969, had two sons: William Edward (born in 1937) and Laurence Dennis Armstrong (1939-94). V131007 Joseph Armstrong served between 10 February 1941 and 27 January 1942 as a Sapper in the 65th Anti Aircraft Company. And V71502 Private Edward (Ted) Armstrong enlisted at Armadale on 12 August 1940 (the nominal roll provides no details of his service or date of discharge). The Australian electoral rolls show that after their marriage in 1948, Ted and Shirley Armstrong nee Smith lived at 63 Tudor Street in East Bentleigh, where Ted worked in sales and then as a storeman, until at least the early 1980s. The 1977 and 1980 rolls had registered there an Ian Douglas and Jennifer Joy Armstrong, both of whom were working as clerks. Ron Moss remembers Shirley and Ted being 'active members of a social ballroom dancing club. Also, as keen supporters of the Essendon AFL Club, they would travel most weekends to attend their matches'. The Ryerson Index shows Edward (Ted) Armstrong, aged 87, died in Melbourne on 30 April 2004. His tribute in the Herald Sun on 3 May 2004 reads: 'ARMSTRONG - Edward (Ted), aged 87 years, passed away peacefully on April 30, 2004. Beloved husband of Shirley, much loved father of Jennifer and Ian, father-in-law of Lorraine'. He was cremated at the Springvale Botanical Cemetery and is memorialised there in the Magnolia Rose Garden.
Provided by Ron Moss, Shirley and Ted Armstrong's wedding party comprising (from l/R): Unknown, Maureen Linda Smith, Edward (Ted) Armstrong
in front of whom is Shirley's niece, Alison McCarthy (later Bassed), Shirley Victoria Smith, Heather Pearl Stone nee Smith and Unknown.
7) Maureen Linda Smith (1934-2015) was working as a telephonist when she married Ronald Frank (Ron) Moss in Melbourne on 20 February 1954. His daughter, Rhonda Palmer, tells us Ron is the only son of Francis (Frank) William Ellis Moss (1911-74) and Daphne Mabel Esther Sanger (1911-80) who were married in Victoria in 1932. The Victorian index of bdms shows Frank Moss was born at Caulfield, his mother was Eliza Ellen Elliss Moss and father was unknown (reg no 10121). Eliza Moss later married William Edward Donehue (1898-1975) in 1922 and had four children with him. Eliza's parents were both Londoners: William Elliss Moss (1867-1929) and Kathleen 'Kate' Wood (1863-1919) - pictured on the right - who were married at St George's Hanover Square Anglican church in the City of Westminster in central London in 1888 and sailed from England to Victoria on the ORMUZ later the same year. Their marriage certificate shows William was working as a pastry cook at the time of their marriage. The Australian electoral rolls show William and Kate were living at 82 High Street in St Kilda at the time of the 1903 and 1906 elections (a report in the Prahan Telegraph in October 1906 described William as a 'confectioner, soft drinks vendor and restauranteur'). The following year the Melbourne Age informed its readers of the death, on 30 April 1907, of 'Francis Elliss Moss, the beloved son of William and Kate Eliss Moss, of 82 High street, St Kilda, aged 17 years and 10 months'. By the time of the 1909 election, William and Kate had moved to Kambrook Road in East Caulfield. In addition to changing their address they had also changed their name on the election rolls from Moss to 'Elliss-Moss'. As we have seen, by 1911 they also had a grandson to bring up. The 1915 electoral roll shows William and Kate had again moved and were living on Dandenong Road in East Malvern (also registered there was a Kathleen Elliss-Moss, dressmaker). The 1917 and 1919 rolls have the three of them living on Belgrave Road in East Malvern along with an Eliza Ellen, pastrycook, and James George Elliss-Moss, baker. Kathleen Elizabeth Ellis (Sis) Moss, was born at Hawthorn in around 1891 and died at Bentleigh in Melbourne in 1972. She is buried in the Springvale Botanical Cemetery (CofE Bolingbroke Lawn, Row AP, Grave 47). Her brother, James George Ellis Moss (1892-1926), married Julie Cober in Melbourne in 1922 and was living on Ardrie Road in East Malvern when he died four years later. Their parents William and Kate Ellis-Moss nee Wood both died at Mulgrave, she in 1919 and he in 1929. Kate was buried with her eldest son Francis in the Brighton Cemetery (Presbyterian section plot 217).
Ron Moss' mother, Daphne Mabel Esther Sanger (1911-80), came from Benalla in country Victoria, a daughter of George Stephen Sanger (1879-1954) and Eleanor Lindsay (1888-1952) who were married there in 1907. George was born at nearby Goorambat, the eldest son of John Sanger (1844-98) who, Rhonda Palmer tells us, was born at Tisbury in Wiltshire and, with his older brother George Sanger, sailed to Australia on the TASMANIA which departed from Liverpool and arrived at Melbourne on 22 December 1858. On 1 October 1873, John married a farmer's daughter, Zillah Elizabeth Taylor (1852-1923), at Broken Creek near Goorambat. Zillah's sister, Elizabeth Taylor (1849-1942), married James Croucher, and her father, James Taylor (1815-1900), married his second wife, Janet McEwan there on the same day. James Taylor was a native of Suffolk in England and emigrated to Australia in 1844. He and his his first wife Caroline Poll nee Aldous, pioneered land at Broken Creek. John and Zillah Sanger had eight children between 1875 and 1891 including John Henry Sanger (1886-1968) who served in the 1st Pioneer Battalion in France during the First World War. Together with another local, Lieutenant John Frawley MC who served in the 3rd Machine Gun Battalion, John Henry was formally welcomed home at the Goorambat Mechanics Hall on 19 February 1919.
After their marriage in 1907, George Stephen and Eleanor Sanger nee Lindsay farmed land at Goorambat until around 1921 when they moved to Melbourne where George worked as a labourer until his death at his daughter's home at Mulgrave in 1954 (Eleanor had died at Benalla in 1952). George and Eleanor had six children - two sons and four daughters - all born at Goorambat. Both their sons died during the Second World War. Pte Lindsay Sanger, who served in the 2/14 Infantry Battalion, died of wounds in Syria on 14 June 1941 and is buried in the Khayat Beach War Cemetery in Palestine. His brother, Pte Stephen John Richard Sanger, who was serving with the 2nd Company Australian Service Corps, died in the South China Sea on 12 September 1944 and is commemorated on the Labuan Memorial in Malaysia. Eleanor Sanger nee Lindsay was one of ten children of Donegal-born Richard Lindsay (1848-1906) and Margaret Sophia Weston (1857-1945) who were married at Winton in northern Victoria in 1876 and farmed land near Lake Mokoan east of Goorambat.
The Australian electoral rolls show that after their marriage in 1932, Frank and Daphne Moss - shown in the photo on the left - lived in Melbourne, first at North Richmond, then at Oakleigh and then at Auburn. During this time Frank worked as a rubber worker and later a soldier and Daphne as a process worker. They both retired in around 1970 and went to live at Inglewood in central Victoria where Frank died in 1974. He is buried in the local cemetery, the inscription on his headstone is: 'V290630 Cpl F W E Moss Headquarters 8th August 1974 Beloved husband of Daphne Father of Ronald'. Daphne died four years later and is buried with Frank at Inglewood. Her death notice, published in the Melbourne Age reads: 'MOSS - On November 22 1980 at RGH Heidelberg. Daphne Mabel Esther, late of Inglewood. Dearly beloved wife of the late Francis (Frank) William, loved mother of Ron, mother-in-law of Maureen, and loved grandmother of Rhonda and Anthony'. The Australian electoral rolls show Frank and Daphne's son, Ron Moss who worked as a credit officer, and his wife Maureen Linda Moss lived at Oakleigh and later Mount Waverley in Melbourne before moving to Sydney where, at the time of the 1980 election, they were living in the Upper North Shore suburb of Roseville (an Anthony Ronald Moss, student, was also registered as living there). Ron was then working as a manager. In 1986 he and Maureen's daughter, Rhonda Smith, moved to Wagga Wagga in southern NSW where three years later she married Stephen John Palmer, a crop farmer from Euberta. Together with their daughter, Nicole, they currently reside in the small village of Uranquinty to the south of Wagga. Ron and Maureen and their son Anthony continued to live in Sydney where, Ron tells us, 'golf became a major interest and involvement . . . Anthony was four times club champion and Maureen served as President of the NSW Veteran Ladies Golf Association'. The Ryerson Index shows Maureen, aged 81 years, died at Sydney on 10 May 2015. A tribute to her published in the Melbourne Herald Sun on 15 May 2015, reads: 'MOSS - Maureen. 11.5.1934 - 10.5.2015. Beloved wife of Ron, loving mother of Rhonda and Anthony, much loved mother-in-law of Stephen, Ciara and Jenny. Much loved grandmother of Jessica, Jack, Nicole, Simone and Cian and loving great grandmother of Darcy. Loving sister of Doris, Gladys, Heather, Shirley, Doug (each dec) and Alan. Family and friends are invited to attend her Funeral Service in the Magnolia Chapel of the Macquarie Park Crematorium, cnr Delhi and Plassey Rds, North Ryde'.
Sent to us by Rhonda Palmer this photo is of her and her brother Anthony with their parents Ron and Maureen Moss nee Smith.
|Hickmott family Rootsweb site||Henry Hickmott (1825-1914)|
|Rebecca Smith nee Hickmott||More Smith family photographs|
|First Families Home Page||First Families Index|
'Lalbert Cricket Team 1900', from Win Noblet's The Hickmott Story 1825-1981 (Cambridge Press, Bendigo, 1981.
'Wedding of Richard Colmer Smith and Hilda Alice Fidge', 'Alan Richard Colmer Smith and Evelyn Goding' and
'Shirley Victoria Armstrong nee Smith', all courtesy of Rhonda Palmer.
'William Ellis and Kate Moss' and 'Frank and Daphne Moss", courtesy of Ron Moss.